I'm running Vista 64-bit, Home Premium.

Calibre won't install. I keep getting an error message that says:

"Calibre setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error."

But, it doesn't say what type of error.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2  DoctorOhh 09-19-2010, 04:27 AM
Quote lsanders
Delete the install file, reboot your machine, redownload the update file and try again.

#3  pchrist7 09-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Quote lsanders
Help!!

I downloaded Calibre 7-19.

I'm running Vista 64-bit, Home Premium.

Calibre won't install. I keep getting an error message that says:

"Calibre setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error."

But, it doesn't say what type of error.

Hi lsanders
I'm running the same OS as you.
Have not had any problems at all.
As stated you could have a corrupt download to install from.
But other than that I can only think about your "permissions" in Vista.
Are you an administrator ?
What Antivirus are you using - try disabling that when you install.
Keep us updated so we might help you out with this issue.
Cheers

#4  lolagotit 12-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I keep running into this error when trying to install calibre 7.35 on my Vista Pro 32 laptop: Error reading from file

c:\Users\Lola\Downloads\calibre-0.5.35.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

Upon retry the error code changes to a package error code 2755.

I had no trouble at all istalling calibre yesterday on my Vista Pro 64 PC, even with all the firewalls and antivirus programs still turned on.

Nothing works installing calibre 7.35 on my laptop, including making sure I was logged on as admin, turning off all the antivirus and firewall software, trying different browsers (3) and trying a different download site.

Please help.

#5  DoctorOhh 12-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Quote lolagotit
I keep running into this error when trying to install calibre 7.35 on my Vista Pro 32 laptop: Error reading from file

c:\Users\Lola\Downloads\calibre-0.5.35.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

Upon retry the error code changes to a package error code 2755.
This folder isn't encrypted is it? If it is move it to a unencrypted folder. Also ensure the temp folder is not encrypted.

You can try re-downloading the file and see if that helps.

Further info here.

#6  lolagotit 12-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote dwanthny
This folder isn't encrypted is it? If it is move it to a unencrypted folder. Also ensure the temp folder is not encrypted.

You can try re-downloading the file and see if that helps.

Further info here.
None of them are encrypted and I've tried several times to redownload the file from two different sites.

#7  DoctorOhh 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote lolagotit
None of them are encrypted and I've tried several times to redownload the file from two different sites.
I'm at a loss except to give you the Ye ole help desk answer. Reboot and try again.

Hopefully someone more versed will come along with some help.

#8  lolagotit 12-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks for trying, anyway! What I need is a good gremlin hunter! This sort of thing follows me around everywhere I compute?! ;D

#9  chaley 12-28-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote lolagotit

Some random ideas:

1) ensure you are not out of disk space.

2) ensure that there is no installation of calibre on the machine. Delete c:\program files\calibre and c:\program files\calibre2.

3) if there is a calibre entry in the control panel 'programs' section, select its uninstall to remove it.

4) copy the calibre installation file from downloads to your desktop. The point of this is to see if you can copy it, or whether it has internal problems.

5) if none of the above works, check the drive for errors. Right click on c:, choose properties, then tools, then check drive. Choose 'automatically fix errors'. Windows will probably ask you to restart the machine.

#10  lolagotit 12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote chaley
Some random ideas:

1) ensure you are not out of disk space.

2) ensure that there is no installation of calibre on the machine. Delete c:\program files\calibre and c:\program files\calibre2.

3) if there is a calibre entry in the control panel 'programs' section, select its uninstall to remove it.

4) copy the calibre installation file from downloads to your desktop. The point of this is to see if you can copy it, or whether it has internal problems.

5) if none of the above works, check the drive for errors. Right click on c:, choose properties, then tools, then check drive. Choose 'automatically fix errors'. Windows will probably ask you to restart the machine.
Hi Chaley,

That is great trouble shooting input but none of the above is causing the download problem on my laptop. There is still a download bug.

I decided to try FBReader on my laptop instead, because I really don't want to store books on my c drive anyway. There was no trouble whatsoever downloading FBReader with all of the firewall and anti-virus software still running.

Calibre is a fine program to use on my pc and I look forward to learning how to edit and publish ebooks myself.

Kind regards and Happy New Year.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register