Mobileread
Mobi vs. ePub
#11  HarryT 05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote FlorenceArt
There is no ereader that can read Mobi with Amazon DRM and epubs with another DRM.
That's not strictly true. There's no device which can read both simultaneously, but Bookeen's devices offer two firmware versions, one of which can read ePub DRM and the other Mobi DRM, and it takes only a couple of minutes to switch between them.

#12  =X= 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote afa
Is there any difference between ebooks in Mobi format, compared with those in ePub? I don't mean the really technical details of how they are created, I'm just curious as to whether there is any difference from the consumers' point-of-view?
If you haven't checked out wallcraft's excellent format review, I strongly recommend doing so. LOTR books are to date one of the better formatted ebooks out there. There you can do a visual inspection as to which book format looks better for you. Also you can also run this check on your PC.
If you go to FeedBooks you can download both an ePUB and MOBI version of the same book and see which format you like most.

Quote afa
Is one superior to the other? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why not? Actually, the latter probably doesn't matter. What about throwing Adobe Digital Editions PDFs into the mix? Not ones you've created yourself; I mean the PDFs available from ebook retailers like ebooks.com etc.
I'd really like to see the ePUB format win out, but right now it is just too green for me to use.

For starters, I find features like, highlighting, annotation, and dictionary support to be extremely important for reading. ePUB to date does not have any support for these features, MOBI does. The good news is there is works to add support in the future versions, but that is not today.

Second while the format support in ePUB is richer than MOBI, it is only slightly better than MOBI but way inferior to PDF. If typography is the most important feature then one is better off buying PDFs.

=X=

#13  mooxoo 05-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Epub seems a better format with a more open standard than prc/mobi, a useful feature for me is the table of contents linking that is lacking in prc/mobi. But given I read on a Windows Mobile phone I have found there is a lack of good epub reader software, although my experience is limited to Chinese books in utf-8 encoding.

The Mobipocket reader opens and browses prc books much faster and is more stable than the epub readers I've tried (Freda, Zulu) with epub books. This will probably change in the future when epub software catches up to the format's capabilities, but in the meantime prc/mobi works well for me.

Note that I make the epub and prc/mobi books myself from the same html source, so the two books are as identical as can be.

#14  HarryT 05-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Quote =X=
For starters, I find features like, highlighting, annotation, and dictionary support to be extremely important for reading. ePUB to date does not have any support for these features, MOBI does. The good news is there is works to add support in the future versions, but that is not today.
With respect, those are primarily features of the reading device, not of the format. Eg, both the Sony PRS-600 and the BeBook Neo support all those features for ePub files.

#15  HarryT 05-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote mooxoo
Epub seems a better format with a more open standard than prc/mobi, a useful feature for me is the table of contents linking that is lacking in prc/mobi.
Can you explain what you mean by that? The Mobi file format certainly supports a linked table of contents.

#16  FlorenceArt 05-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote HarryT
With respect, those are primarily features of the reading device, not of the format. Eg, both the Sony PRS-600 and the BeBook Neo support all those features for ePub files.
I agree, except maybe on the dictionnary support. I understand this is not well supported currently in ePub. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I think it has to do with identifying different forms of the same word, such as conjugations for verbs, plural etc.

I bought a dictionnary in mobi format, and when reading a mobi book this allows me to find, say, "readers" because the dictionnary includes "readers" as a form of "reader". As far as I know (but I may be wrong) this feature is not supported in ePub.

On, for instance, the Pocketbook 360, there is a dictionary function that more or less works around this by showing words that have the same beginning as the one I am looking for. This works in the case of "readers" and "reader", but it may not work so well in other cases. For example in French, the verb "prendre" can have forms such as "pris", "prise", "prenez". I'm not sure there is a dictionary in ePub format that could handle these forms. Or is there?

#17  afa 05-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Quote =X=
If you go to FeedBooks you can download both an ePUB and MOBI version of the same book and see which format you like most.
Thanks for that, =X=. I'm going to give that a shot.

Can anyone tell me which software to use to read these on my computer (I don't have an ereader)? I'm using an iMac with OS X (Leopard).

#18  HarryT 05-04-2010, 08:30 AM
There's no Mobi Reader for Mac, as far as I know. My favourite ePub reader is the Sony eBook Library software; I prefer it to ADE.

#19  FlorenceArt 05-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Doesn't Amazon's Kindle reader have a Mac version now? I suppose it can read non-DRM mobis?

I also think Calibre can read mobi, but I'm not sure how practical it is as a reader.

#20  Terisa de morgan 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote FlorenceArt
Doesn't Amazon's Kindle reader have a Mac version now? I suppose it can read non-DRM mobis?
Yes, it can.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register