Mobileread
HTC Touch Phones to get Adobe Digital Editions
#1  wallcraft 02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
As spotted by Nate the great, from WM Experts: HTC gets in the e-Book Reader business with new Manila 2.5.
The latest version of Manila/Sense 2.5 (2012) features a tab dedicated to reading e-Books that can be purchased by Boarders or, evidently, though Adobe.
The start screen includes "Contain Reader mobile technology by Adobe", and there is a screen to login to Borders or to activate an AdobeID, so this is a port of mobile Adobe Digital Editions to Windows Mobile. It will presumably only be available on HTC smartphones with Windows Mobile and HTC Sense (the leaked version is for the Touch Pro 2). On the other hand HTC has also added "Sense" to some of its Android phones, so perhaps there will be an Android version too. See Wikipedia: TouchFLO 3D.

#2  DawnFalcon 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Interesting

#3  HarryT 02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Very! There's currently no ADE implementation available for mobile phones. I'd love to have such a thing. I don't understand the "purchased by Boarders" bit. though. Boarders of what?

#4  phenomshel 02-13-2010, 01:11 PM
That'd be cool. I'm looking at HTC for my next phone, but that won't be til October. Gives me time to see what happens with this.

#5  jaxx6166 02-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been looking at grabbing the HTC Droid from Verizon, so this should be very interesting. Kudos for finding it!

#6  jackinca 02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Anyone interested in HTC phones particularly with large screens should investigate the HTC HD 2 coming this Spring with expanded RAM and GSM 3G capabilities. The older versions might not be able to upgrade to Windows Mobile 7, have no 3G capability, and this one apparently will. According to all reports, it will have no competitors for large screen/resolution. It will be available through T-Mobile or direct purchase not tied to any telephone plan.

#7  wallcraft 02-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote HarryT
Boarders of what?
This should be Borders. Their strategy of not producing their own ebook reader may be paying off, see Borders CEO nixes idea of own e-reader.

#8  Steven Lyle Jordan 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote jackinca
Anyone interested in HTC phones particularly with large screens should investigate the HTC HD 2 coming this Spring...
I've presently got my eye on the HTC Touch Pro 2, planning to upgrade in mid-April. I'm especially looking forward to finding out which readers (and formats) I can use on the phone, to replace my WinOS PDA... I'm hoping to get ePub and Mobi on there, at least.

#9  HansTWN 03-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Quote Steve Jordan
I've presently got my eye on the HTC Touch Pro 2, planning to upgrade in mid-April. I'm especially looking forward to finding out which readers (and formats) I can use on the phone, to replace my WinOS PDA... I'm hoping to get ePub and Mobi on there, at least.
I have the Touch Pro 2. If you want the keyboard, you can't go wrong with this one. And even though the specs are a little dated, the operation is surprisingly smooth and fast. You can use Freda for Epub and the Mobi reader. PDF is also no problem. If you don't need the keyboard, then the HD2 is the best choice.

#10  Dylrob 03-16-2010, 01:07 AM
What, what? So those of us with other makes of WM phones are still being left out in the cold?

Ugh... now I really wish I had gotten the Touch Pro.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register