Mobileread
iPhone Found a way to get IPhone PID to work with mobidedrm
#1  Katelyn 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
I know how to use mobidedrm but haven't been able to get past the "Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect" and "Error: invalid PID checksum" error when using my PID from my IPhone. I found a post about downloading azw-0.2.zip and using that version of kindlepid.py and to get a PID it worked!

#2  Tom2112 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Is the kindlepid.py how you get the PID of the iPhone?

I'm still uncertain of how to get the Kindle ebook file off the iPhone onto my PC.

#3  daffy4u 12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Quote Tom2112
Is the kindlepid.py how you get the PID of the iPhone?

I'm still uncertain of how to get the Kindle ebook file off the iPhone onto my PC.
Search the forum and google for "iphone backup extractor".

#4  Tom2112 12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks Daffy. Another user posted these links for me, and they're applicable here:

Exportin Kindle Books from iPhone:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54745

KindlePID / KindleFix:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41649

#5  Katelyn 12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
If it helps, here is a a concise explanation of how to get to your Iphone books and how to get a get a usable PID since I found the PIDs with $ or * don't work on my IPhone books...

1) How to get a copy of ebooks off IPhone
Backup the iphone with Itunes, then use Iphone Backup Extractor. The problem is that your books will not have recognizable names so it's a pain if you want a specific book and not all of them.
http://www.reincubate.com/labs/iphon...e/3_wizard.png
This directory in backupextractor:
image »

2) How to get your UDID for your IPhone from ITunes
To find your iPhone's UDID, just plug it into your computer and wait until iTunes recognizes it. Select your phone from the Devices list in iTunes and click the "Summary" tab. To see your UDID, click on the word "serial number" beside the picture of the iPhone. You should see the word "identifer" and an alphanumeric string – this is your UDID. To copy it, just press command + C on your Mac's keyboard (or control + C in Windows)

3) How to get a PID from your UDID
This next step assumes you know how to use Python and have downloaded azw-0.2.zip (google to find it) and added the python files to the pythonxx\tools\scripts folder.
Use kindlepid.py to generate a PID. For example, if I type kindlepid.py 7XXXa8XXbcXXXXXXb9XXXXXXXXXXd9bXXXXXXXf01XX (my UDID xed out) I will get a PID.

Can't discuss how to strip DRM from books in the forums since it is probably illegal to remove DRM. You'll have to PM someone who knows or search the forums (that can be a nightmare of threads).

#6  Tom2112 12-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Double thanks, Katelyn!

#7  Katelyn 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote Katelyn
If it helps, here is a a concise explanation of how to get to your Iphone books and how to get a get a usable PID since I found the PIDs with $ or * don't work on my IPhone books...

1) How to get a copy of ebooks off IPhone
Backup the iphone with Itunes, then use Iphone Backup Extractor. The problem is that your books will not have recognizable names so it's a pain if you want a specific book and not all of them.
http://www.reincubate.com/labs/iphon...e/3_wizard.png
This directory in backupextractor:
image »

2) How to get your UDID for your IPhone from ITunes
To find your iPhone's UDID, just plug it into your computer and wait until iTunes recognizes it. Select your phone from the Devices list in iTunes and click the "Summary" tab. To see your UDID, click on the word "serial number" beside the picture of the iPhone. You should see the word "identifer" and an alphanumeric string – this is your UDID. To copy it, just press command + C on your Mac's keyboard (or control + C in Windows)

3) How to get a PID from your UDID
This next step assumes you know how to use Python and have downloaded azw-0.2.zip (google to find it) and added the python files to the pythonxx\tools\scripts folder.
Use kindlepid.py to generate a PID. For example, if I type kindlepid.py 7XXXa8XXbcXXXXXXb9XXXXXXXXXXd9bXXXXXXXf01XX (my UDID xed out) I will get a PID.

Can't discuss how to strip DRM from books in the forums since it is probably illegal to remove DRM. You'll have to PM someone who knows or search the forums (that can be a nightmare of threads).
UPDATE - This replaces #1 above. I find it much easier to use the new Kindle for PC program instead of Iphone Backup Extractor. The Kindle for PC drops the file into a folder named My Kindle Content so as you purchase a book, you can quickly find, copy and rename the file. Using Iphone Backup Extractor, it was painfully tedious trying to figure out which book was which since amazon's naming convention is nonsensical.

The other thing to keep in mind is that not every Kindle purchase can be de-DRMed and some are not DRMed at all. I've read that if the file size is not noted in the Product Details section, the book most likely cannot be de-DRMed (topaz or .azw format even though the extension is .prc).

Hope this new info helps.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register