Optimal Calibre Conversion Settings?
#1  Delia575 12-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I expect my new Kindle 2 to arrive in the next day or so, and in anticipation I have been prepping some PDF files that I un-DRM'd so that they can be popped onto my Kindle. I am using Calibre to convert from PDF to Mobi, but I am struggling to get the resulting Mobi file to look decent.

Leep gave me some tips, but I am wondering if others could share the best Calibre conversion parameters they have used...

Thanks in advance!

#2  Delia575 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I posted this in the Kindle forum rather than Calibre because I specifically want help from Kindle users... Thanks!

#3  Sier 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm also looking for the same thing..

#4  mjmcleod 01-07-2010, 11:02 PM
There aren't a lot of options to tweak. Setting "Line Un-Wrapping Factor" to 0.25 (the default is 0) is something I saw somewhere and tried, and that has helped with PDF input.

Most of my ebooks were either ePub or eReader, and those converted to Mobipocket with no difficulty.

#5  Mitch G 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
If the PDFs have headers and/or footers, they will show up in the resultant mobi text itself. For example, page numbers from the PDF file will be show up i the actual text when reading it on the device. Calibre lets you specify regular expressions that it uses to try and identify the header and/or footer and remove it from the conversion.
Personally, I haven't been bothered too much by these extra bits and just do a simple pdf->mobi conversion when I need to.

#6  Leep 01-08-2010, 12:42 AM
I make the following changes in Calibre for both pdf and epub conversions.

Remove extra paragraphs
Remove header
Remove footers
Do not include table of contents (under the mobi output tab)

#7  tbergman 01-10-2010, 08:10 AM
You may also want to try MobiPocket Creator for the conversions. It sometimes does a better job than Calibre.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register