Mobileread
International Kindle & Alternate Dictionary
#71  remembershakti 11-02-2010, 01:27 AM
i'm a newbie. Having ordered my kindle 3 just a few hours ago i've spent the time trying to understand the thread.I'm posting my thoughts. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

1)based on the language metadata of the prc file kindle uses the appropriate dictionary. So for german ebook it will lookup a dictionary whose language metadata indicates its german provided theres only one german dictionary in kindle.

2)The language metadata of the books and the dictionary both can be changed via mobi2mobi either using the command line or the gui version. The same effect can be achived by the tool mobipatch.

Please let me know.

#72  stehk 11-05-2010, 06:37 AM
nearly right

ad1 that is correct, (if there is more than one german dictionary the kindle will choose just one randomly.)

ad2 not quite- there are two language metadata entries in a prc or mobi file.
The first one you can manipulate via mobi2mobi.
This is the one that determines which language the kindle will use to look up a word in that book.

If the book is a dictionary however, there is an independent entry, determining the language of the dictionary- this one you can manipulate via mobipatch. (in former fw versions you had to set this one to english, in order to use a dictionary as primary dictionary- but this no longer applies)

so... you can use mobi2mobi to change the metadata in your bookcollections

you can use mobipatch if there is e.g more than one german dictionary in your collection and kindle chooses one you don't like for instant lookup

however keep in mind that many books aren't tagged correctly. I bought a german book from amazon, where the metadata entry says english... and there is no way to manipulate them as long as they are DRMed

#73  remembershakti 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply, it cleared things up. I've 2 other questions. This may sound stupid, but i didn't find the option to change the language metadata into spanish in the mobi2mobi gui(VB7 w mobiperl 0.43-win). Am i overlooking anything? If not so are there any other way to change it?

Also is there another way to recognize whether a particular prc/mobi file is a dictionary other than the one involving hex lookup as mentioned in this thread?

#74  stehk 11-20-2010, 05:49 PM
yeah, spanish isn't included in the gui of mobi2mobi
just open the command in windows, go into the directory with the mobi2mobi file and enter perl mobi2mobi --language es "mobifile" or something like that (not sure about the syntax now)

and you can see the dictionary languages via the standard mobipocket reader from their website... but in order to change them you have to use the mobipatch or hexeditor- at least I don't know of another way

#75  janvanmaar 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks stehk, using 2 dictionaries at the same time works perfectly on my Kindle 3 now! My use case is slightly different: Dutch-English dictionary as primary and English-Slovak dictionary for case I do not know an English word from the Dutch-English translation (there is no good direct Dutch-Slovak dictionary).

At first I thought I would set the language of the primary dict to en, so that I can keep correct dict metadata (en->sk) for the English-Slovak dict. However, from some reason this did not work - the primary dict was always used... so I tried your example of setting the primary dict to fr and the secondary to fr->sk and that worked. I don't understand why I have to work it around in this way but not a big deal for me

#76  nijntjeuska 12-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote janvanmaar
Thanks stehk, using 2 dictionaries at the same time works perfectly on my Kindle 3 now! My use case is slightly different: Dutch-English dictionary as primary and English-Slovak dictionary for case I do not know an English word from the Dutch-English translation (there is no good direct Dutch-Slovak dictionary).

At first I thought I would set the language of the primary dict to en, so that I can keep correct dict metadata (en->sk) for the English-Slovak dict. However, from some reason this did not work - the primary dict was always used... so I tried your example of setting the primary dict to fr and the secondary to fr->sk and that worked. I don't understand why I have to work it around in this way but not a big deal for me

Janvanmaar, please, where have you found Dutch-English and English-Slovak dictionaries for Kindle? I am looking for both of them for a few days. I have only found one Dutch-English dictionary on www.amazon.com, however, according to the reviews I decided not to buy it. It's cheap, but not worth even the small price it cost. Thank you

#77  janvanmaar 12-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Well, those dictionaries are commercial dictionaries that are not available directly in Kindle format, so I had to convert them and add inflections to them myself... Basically, here are a few possibilities I know of:

- there is a pretty good English-Czech dictionary for Kindle at http://www.uloz.to/6464818/encs-dictionary-2-0-mobi - this is a free GNU dictionary, so you can freely download it and use it straight away or even distribute it if you want

- in case you own an older Lingea Lexicon English-Slovak dictionary, Van Dale Pocketbook or Van Dale Big Dutch-English dictionary, you can convert them to mobi dictionaries (and add inflections so that you could search also for derived word forms such as plurals, past tense etc)

The possibility of conversion and adding inflections may apply to any other dictionaries you own that have accessible database but note that it requires quite some work and at least basic programming skills! I found basically all information needed to do that here on MR forums but feel free to PM me in case you want to do this and need some help - I can give you more details on how to proceed. I certainly hope more good dictionaries will appear directly for Kindle in the future, so that this extra work is not necessary...

#78  veezh 12-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote janvanmaar
in case you own an older Lingea Lexicon English-Slovak dictionary, Van Dale Pocketbook or Van Dale Big Dutch-English dictionary, you can convert them to mobi dictionaries
Hi jan,

Just wondering which older version of the Van Dale Groot you're referring to. I've searched the Internet for a version I could convert and haven't had any luck finding one (except for the Pocket).

As I mentioned earlier, I thought about adding inflections to the pocket version, but this seemed like a lot of work for a dictionary that doesn't have much to offer.

I would consider investing the time, though, if I could find a workable version of the Groot Woordenboek NL-EN.

#79  janvanmaar 12-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Hi veezh, I do not have and thus I have not converted Van Dale Groot myself (yet?) but I know it is not protected and even offers export to Word. So I am pretty sure it would be possible to get the words and convert to mobi. At the moment I am using the Pocketbook version but I am considering buying the Big one and converting - the Pocketbook is certainly usable but sometimes limited. The main problem is the price of the Big one - it seems to be pretty expensive...

#80  cristianm 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM
A French-Romanian dictionary (approx. 17.000 words), and an English-Romanian one (36.000 words, 1200 proper nouns and 20.000 phrases).
Both are .prc, showing the correct Romanian letters.
Cheers!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (8/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register