Mobileread
Registering Reader to Another User
#1  kurt_da_nerd 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I have "inherited" my in-laws Sony Reader PRS-505. I installed the suplied software to get the Sony eBook library onto my personal computer. However when I go to upload a book to the reader I get a Warning message that says: "This eBook cannot be transferred because the reader is authorized to another user"

Does anyone know how I can authorize the reader to myself so I can upload my own books and not be stuck with my Mother-In Laws Romances?

Thanks

Kurt

#2  pilotbob 08-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Quote kurt_da_nerd
Does anyone know how I can authorize the reader to myself so I can upload my own books and not be stuck with my Mother-In Laws Romances?
The easiest way is to have your inlaws de-authorize the device from their account.... this needs to be done by hooking the device to the PC, logging into their eBook account and removing the device from the device page under the my account section.

The hard way is to call Sony and they can do it for you.

Once the above is done you can authorize it to your Sony account.

BOb

#3  Gibbo 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Currently I have the maximum devices installed is there anyway to de-authorize them without having to phone sony?.

#4  pilotbob 09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Quote Gibbo
Currently I have the maximum devices installed is there anyway to de-authorize them without having to phone sony?.
by hooking the device to the PC, logging into their eBook account and removing the device from the device page under the my account section.

If you don't have the device, I don't think you can do it..... yep... I just tried it. The deauthorize link is only available for the computer I'm on. It only shows up for the device if it is connected. So, in this case you will have to call Sony.

BOb

#5  Gibbo 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
But as I'm not from the US I can't purchase any books from Sony anymore, would love to get Arthur C Clarke's short stories from Sony

#6  Gibbo 09-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Can I create another account on another PC?

#7  pilotbob 09-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Quote Gibbo
Can I create another account on another PC?
Sure... but you will not be able to access ebooks from a previous account.

I don't understand... if you can't buy books from Sony... did you ever? Why do you have them authorized... and what even does it matter?

What are you trying to do? Perhaps you are asking the wrong question.

BOb

#8  Gibbo 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Quote pilotbob
Sure... but you will not be able to access ebooks from a previous account.

I don't understand... if you can't buy books from Sony... did you ever? Why do you have them authorized... and what even does it matter?

What are you trying to do? Perhaps you are asking the wrong question.

BOb
Leaping Gnome used to get me some Sony gift cards when I bought the 500 but since I bought the Cybook the 500 took second place (actually it's been in the cupboard ever since) but now I would like to purchase the Arthur C Clarke's short stories and looks like only Sony ebook store has them all.

#9  pilotbob 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Quote Gibbo
Leaping Gnome used to get me some Sony gift cards when I bought the 500 but since I bought the Cybook the 500 took second place (actually it's been in the cupboard ever since) but now I would like to purchase the Arthur C Clarke's short stories and looks like only Sony ebook store has them all.
I see... so if your 500 is already registered to your Sony account why do you need to remove it?

BOb

#10  Gibbo 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM
I can't buy them because I've already registered the maximum number of devices and can't access the shop.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register