Mobileread
WiFi with no Internet access
#1  evillink81 04-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot of threads on this issue for the past two or three days, but I'm still unable to connect my Kindle Keyboard K3W to a router that has no Internet connection.

I have a Jailbreak + usbNetwork K3W 3.4 and using an old Lynksys WRK54G for a project. But the Kindle refuses to connect to my AP on a open network with static ip.

I've tried setting up a DNS server and a Web Server on a Win7 PC with the appropriate spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com redirection and the /kindle-wifi/wifistub.html website, both my PC and Android phone can use the PC IP address as the DNS and get the wifistub.html from my server but not the Kindle.

I also tried modifying the /etc/hosts file on the Kindle to point the spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com to the local device and started httpd from busybox with no luck

Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2  knc1 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM
What entries do you see in the LinkSys router log when you try to connect with the Kindle?

#3  evillink81 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Hello knc1, I'll have to install a log viewer cause it's an old Linksys and I don't have the CD that came with it, as soon as I do it, i'll post the results.

#4  hfpop 04-18-2014, 03:57 AM
@evillink81: Take a look here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=20

#5  evillink81 04-18-2014, 01:04 PM
@hfpop: Thank you for the link, but I'm currently using a Kindle 3 (Keyboard) and the WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE doesn't seem to work either, I've created it both by using a Windows machine (file with no extension) as well as directly via touch on a PuTTY terminal.

@knc1: I downloaded Kiwi's syslog daemon but all I see in the log files is an entry whenever I make a change to the routers configuration, nothing else is being sent.

#6  knc1 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM
On the wrt you can just log in as the router's admin, can't that be done on the wrk ?

#7  evillink81 04-19-2014, 01:14 PM
The WRK is the ugly duckling of the Linksys family (I got for free along with 128MiB of RAM and a Rio One MP3 player when I bought Windows XP) I can log as an admin and configure the router to send out log information to a specific IP address, but even after installing the logging software I don’t see any messages when a new devices gets an IP or makes a web request.

I will try to get another router to test out, but the thing is… Should my set up work? I have a MaraDNS server and IIS web server on a PC with static IP address (192.168.1.100), this is the configuration file for DNS:

marac file

Code
ipv4_bind_addresses = "192.168.1.100"
timestamp_type = 2
random_seed_file = "secret.txt"
csv2 = {}
csv2["amazonaws.com."] = "db.amazonaws.txt"
db.amazonaws.txt file

Code
spectrum.s3.%	192.168.1.100 ~
On the IIS side I have C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\kindle-wifi\wifistub.html, if I navigate to spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com on any device I will get the IIS welcome page, if i go to spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-wifi/wifistub.html I get the 81ce4465-7167-4dcb-835b-dcc9e44c112a GUI as expected.

#8  fulltlt 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM
After searching high and low for an answer to this same problem I was having with my Kindle 3 I have solved the problem.

The problem is that to establish a wifi connection the Kindle3 does a probe of
http://spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-wifi/wifistub.html
and expects to get back:
81ce4465-7167-4dcb-835b-dcc9e44c112a

If it doesn't it won't let the kindle3 connect to the wifi you're trying to connect to.

Here's how to solve the problem.

Jailbreak the Kindle3
Establish an ssh session to the kindle3
Go to this directory on the Kindle3: /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/pmond/wifid/

Modify this file: start_cmd

Change this line: /usr/sbin/wifid -f

To this: /usr/sbin/wifid -f -n
and save the file.

Restart your Kindle3 and try connecting to your local wifi router that is set up for local access only.

It worked for me. I thought I would share this since I couldn't find it clearly laid out anywhere else.

#9  brianinmaine 07-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Quote fulltlt
After searching high and low for an answer to this same problem I was having with my Kindle 3 I have solved the problem.
<snip>
It worked for me. I thought I would share this since I couldn't find it clearly laid out anywhere else.
I like it. I don't have a K3 but thanks for the solution - I bet it was fun trying to figure out!

#10  axm 10-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Tested, thanks.

The first time though I used "reboot" via usbnetwork ssh to reboot - which might not have been a good idea (was the start of a bricking downward spiral). Rebooting via switch power and hold (>= 1 minute or so) worked.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register