Mobileread
Epub Editor on Android
#1  Rbneader 02-10-2014, 09:59 PM
I mostly read books on my tablet or ereader, so I've been looking for an epub editor to make text edits while reading. I know I could pull up Sigil and read on my PC, but if I have time to sit down at my desk I have other things to do besides reading, unfortunately.

I've seen a few threads on this, but the newest I could find was several years old. Has anyone found a decent, or even just functional, epub editor for Android?

Even just making text changes is fine, so long as it works and doesn't further mess up the epub formatting.

#2  Jabby 02-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Quote Rbneader
Even just making text changes is fine, so long as it works and doesn't further mess up the epub formatting.
I'll sign up for that!

#3  HarryT 02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Given that an ePub file is just a renamed zip file, all you need is a zip program and a text editor.

#4  Jabby 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Quote HarryT
Given that an ePub file is just a renamed zip file, all you need is a zip program and a text editor.
I've never figured out how to make read-only files editable.

Regards - John

#5  Rbneader 02-20-2014, 12:49 PM
There really isn't any solution for this? Huh.

I may start trying to build something myself then.

#6  bobstro 02-21-2014, 10:59 AM
You'll probably want a basic HTML editor, unless you're happy just editing raw HTML in a text editor. So long as you don't break the HTML formatting, editing should work just fine. Not sure it'd be a fun thing to do on a tablet, but it should work.

Scratch that itch! Good luck rolling your own.

#7  Rbneader 02-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Quote bobstro
You'll probably want a basic HTML editor, unless you're happy just editing raw HTML in a text editor. So long as you don't break the HTML formatting, editing should work just fine. Not sure it'd be a fun thing to do on a tablet, but it should work.

Scratch that itch! Good luck rolling your own.
I'm thinking of taking one of the opensource epub readers and seeing how to add editing functionality to that. I'd rather not start from scratch if I can help it.

I haven't programmed for Android before, so having a codebase to start from will help a lot.

Editing on a tablet can't be any more irritating than running into constant spelling mistakes on a tablet. If there's anything more complicated than spelling or grammar changes a desktop is the better tool. I just would rather be able to fix the simple mistakes on my tablet than have to read through in Sigil before transferring.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register