Mobileread
Pocketbook Color Lux?
#1  thesandman 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi all,

I'm really interested in purchasing the Pocketbook Color Lux but have been hard pressed to find information for those outside of Europe. I've tried e-mailing the developers to no avail. Does anyone have any information as to how someone from Australia would be able to obtain a Pocketbook Color Lux?

All help and information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

#2  Billi 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Send a pm to Forkosigan. Although he is responsible for Germany he should be able to give you help or advise.

#3  HarryT 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Is it actually available yet? I know it was scheduled to be released in June, but was it?

#4  Billi 07-01-2013, 01:37 PM
No, it wasn't. At least it is not available through their German website nor has Forkosigan announced it in the Pocketbook forum here.

#5  joblack 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote Billi
No, it wasn't. At least it is not available through their German website nor has Forkosigan announced it in the Pocketbook forum here.
The German support told me that the device will be available in July.

#6  Billi 07-02-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks for this information, joblack!

#7  HarryT 07-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Note that this is a Triton eInk screen, which is simply a colour mask placed on top of a normal black and white eInk device. The colours are weak and unsaturated (although the frontlight may improve this to some extent), and the colour mask halves the linear resolution. Other Triton devices (such as the Jetbook Color) have been poorly received.

#8  kacir 07-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Quote HarryT
Is it actually available yet? I know it was scheduled to be released in June, but was it?
The release was delayed. My local distributor posted info that it will not be available for at least next 7 days.

I would wait for the first bunch of reviews before ordering. The technology is very new and there are many things that can go wrong.

#9  JakeBadlands 07-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Yes, I could confirm that release date have been shifted.
Could not tell the exact day, but it is going to be late July - early August.

Currently I live in Russia, and able to help you to get Pocketbook Color Lux if you so greatly want,
with a really small profit: could buy in shop when it become available, then send using international shipping service of Russian Post. However, we are unable to receive PayPal payments in Russia, available payment terms do not support buyer's protection, as far as I know; also, I am not a prominent member of this forum; so, there is a serious trust issue as you see

By the way, I have the same views as kacir (not making a preorder, just wait for first reviews and then buy if they are good)

#10  malte 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote thesandman
I'm really interested in purchasing the Pocketbook Color Lux but have been hard pressed to find information for those outside of Europe. I've tried e-mailing the developers to no avail. Does anyone have any information as to how someone from Australia would be able to obtain a Pocketbook Color Lux?
There are two reasons to wait.
1. colour e-ink screens have not caught on, have a bad reputation and are not being used by the big vendors. If Amazon or Barnes and Noble release a machine with one, there is a good chance that colour e-ink is comsumer-ready.

2. Have a look in the pocketbook fora. The number of software bugs is scarey. If they cannot make a reader with simple functions like a reliable USB connection, it does not matter how good the screen is.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register