Mobileread
[Device Plugin] Kobo Touch Extended Driver
#1  jgoguen 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM
THIS PLUGIN IS BEING INTERMITTENTLY DEVELOPED! FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS MAY TAKE A FEW DAYS TO BE REPLIED TO.

This plugin enables some additional features for all Kobo devices supported by calibre from the Kobo Touch onwards. ePub books processed with this plugin will be rendered using Kobo's internal kepub renderer instead of the standard ePub renderer.

The main benefits of using the kepub renderer (which some may prefer not to have) are:

You are encouraged to install these two plugins as well, to ensure KePub metadata is correctly processed when sending to your Kobo device:

Usage

To use this plugin after installing:

Special Notes

Installation Directions

Open Preferences -> Plugins -> Get new plugins and install the 'Kobo Touch Extended' plugin. You may also download the attached zip file and install the plugin manually, then restart calibre as described in the Introduction to Plugins thread.

Known Issues

Not everything works perfectly all the time. Here are some of the issues I know about that are likely to stick around for a while.

Spoiler Warning below

Contributing

Decided you want to contribute to the development of this plugin? Awesome! If you want to contribute to the development of this plugin, you have many options:

Submitting Bugs

Found an issue? Have a new feature request? Great, I want to hear from you! Go to the GitHub commit log

[/SPOILER]
[zip] KoboTouchExtended.zip (31.3 KB, 348 views)

#2  ShellShock 04-20-2013, 03:28 AM
thanks. When using this plugin, is the title bar displayed when reading, as usual with kepubs but not with epubs?

#3  jgoguen 04-20-2013, 04:21 AM
The title bar is another kepub feature. I don't believe I can disable it.

#4  buffaloseven 04-20-2013, 10:43 AM
So just out of curiosity, Calibre plugins are entirely python-based (just making sure I'm not missing anything)? If so I could definitely contribute code from time to time. Seems like container.py is the part Calibre talks to and driver.py does the heavy lifting?

The plugin is great; so far I've had no troubles with annotations or bookmarks, but that's probably just as likely to be luck of the draw with my .epub structures. Also, thanks for so quickly addressing the issue with car/cbz files.

#5  jgoguen 04-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes, so far as I'm aware, plugins are purely Python. For me, container.py is the interface to the unpacked ePub structure, and it's where I do most of the book modification work, and driver.py does the rest of the heavy lifting. There is some modification (hyphenation mostly) outside container.py but I plan to work on moving that around later.

#6  Moonraker 04-22-2013, 05:00 AM
How do I disable the main Kobo driver when I am installing this plugin?

Calibre tells me it cannot be disabled.

Am I selecting the correct one to disable?

#7  bookwurm70 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Okay, so I've downloaded the kobo extended plugin. How do I use it? Will the resulting kepubs say kepub? Will I be able to use the kepub on my iPad/iPhone?

#8  jgoguen 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Quote Moonraker
How do I disable the main Kobo driver when I am installing this plugin?

Calibre tells me it cannot be disabled.

Am I selecting the correct one to disable?
First, make sure you don't have your Kobo device plugged in while you're doing this.

Then, in calibre open Preferences -> Plugins and look under the Device Interface Plugins list for Kobo Reader Device Interface and KoboTouch. For each one, select it and click the Enable/Disable plugin button. As long as your device isn't plugged in, they should be disabled.

#9  jgoguen 04-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote bookwurm70
Okay, so I've downloaded the kobo extended plugin. How do I use it?
To use the plugin, you just send books to your Kobo device.

Quote bookwurm70
Will the resulting kepubs say kepub?
On the Kobo device, yes the modified books are identified as KOBO EPUB while unmodified ePub files are identified as EPUB. If you mean in calibre, then no they aren't identified in any way because the kepub version is never saved to your calibre library.

Quote bookwurm70
Will I be able to use the kepub on my iPad/iPhone?
I don't know if you can use the generated kepubs on your iOS app. I don't see why not, but it's not something that I've tested. If you would like to try it and report back on how it worked, there may be other people who would also like to know.

#10  bookwurm70 04-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Quote jgoguen
First, make sure you don't have your Kobo device plugged in while you're doing this.

Then, in calibre open Preferences -> Plugins and look under the Device Interface Plugins list for Kobo Reader Device Interface and KoboTouch. For each one, select it and click the Enable/Disable plugin button. As long as your device isn't plugged in, they should be disabled.
Thanks! I disabled the other Kobo plugins. Now all I need is for my Aura to arrive and I'm ready to side load!

Next »  Last »  (1/189)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register