Mobileread
Mobi vs AZW
#1  Majorix 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I have been using .mobi books on my Kindle Paperwhite all the time. In another thread of mine, I was told that .azw/kf8 format would be better to use.

As far as I know, both formats are closed formats of Amazon. Other than that, I don't know of any similarities/dissimilarities. But maybe I am missing something, can someone kindly share thoughts?

#2  AnemicOak 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
.AZW can be Mobi or KF8 (which can also be AZW3). KF8 allows for more advanced formatting (like ePub) than Mobi.

I'm sure someone will be along with a more detailed explanation of both or you could check the Wiki.

#3  susan_cassidy 03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
AZW3/KF8 is a more advanced format, and supports more types of input, more like ePub. Just plain .AZW is practically the same as .mobi. But, if you have just simple formatting, it shouldn't matter.

#4  JSWolf 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM
.AZW (seen in Calibre) are Mobi. .AZW3 (seen in Calibre) are KF8.

#5  booklover6 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM
I use strictly mobi on my Kindles.

#6  HarryT 03-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Quote booklover6
I use strictly mobi on my Kindles.
Why, given that KF8 is a much more capable format? KF8 supports things like drop caps, embedded fonts, proper block quotes, etc. Why restrict yourself to the limited capabilities of Mobi?

#7  dsmid 03-12-2013, 02:27 AM
I hate embedded fonts. I love the fact I can actually select my favourite font on Kindle and stick with it.
I don't miss any of the features you've mentioned in Mobi, in fact, they are often misused by lame ebook creators.

#8  HarryT 03-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Quote dsmid
I hate embedded fonts. I love the fact I can actually select my favourite font on Kindle and stick with it.
You can do even if the book has embedded fonts. The Kindle won't use them unless you select the "Use Publisher Font" option on the Kindle.

#9  Yolina 03-12-2013, 04:02 AM
Quote HarryT
You can do even if the book has embedded fonts. The Kindle won't use them unless you select the "Use Publisher Font" option on the Kindle.
Not always the case, there are some badly done books where the publisher font is the only one available even if you don't select it. I've come across a few with this problem (some from big publishers and some from indies). Even though I could fix it and strip the font in Calibre, I take the view that it's not my job given that these are paid books, so I just return those and get a refund.

#10  gers1978 03-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Quote HarryT
Why, given that KF8 is a much more capable format? KF8 supports things like drop caps, embedded fonts, proper block quotes, etc. Why restrict yourself to the limited capabilities of Mobi?
I use mobi strictly because my most-needed feature is syncing between iPhone, iPad and Paperwhite, and the ability to email books rather than sideload them. As far as I know, mobi is the only way to achieve this.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register