Mobileread
NADSAT Translation dictionary
#11  grant.ben08 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Just loaded it on there and tested it and it is working GREAT!
I agree that the printed list is no where near as fun as having a PoP dictionary it was just simply getting me by.

#12  PoP 02-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Done ToC added. Grab the update from the first post.

#13  twobob 02-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Excellent. thanks

#14  PoP 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Done

Inflections (for a single word) now work! And I added some "styles" to the html.

To try it, find a test.mobi ebook in the zip.
Spoiler Warning below

show attachment »

Grab the update from the first post

#15  twobob 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Lots of fun! thanks
TightVNC: kindle:0.0_139.png 

#16  PoP 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM
I have been able to create a KF8 mobi with an embedded font (attached). It renders correctly on my Kindle:
Spoiler Warning below

show attachment »

But when attempting to embed the same font in my dictionary I have the following warning
Code
************************************************************* Amazon kindlegen(Windows) V2.8 build 0208-797bf75 A command line e-book compiler Copyright Amazon.com and its Affiliates 2013
Info:I9007:option: -c2: Kindle Huffdic compression
Info:I9014:option: -verbose: Verbose output
Warning(parser8):W26001: Index not supported for enhanced mobi.Info(parser8):I12001: Enhanced mobi generation suppressed.
Info(prcgen):I1041: The file format version is V7Info(prcgen):I1031: Saving PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1032: PRC built successfully
Info(prcgen):I1036: Mobi file built successfully
Apparently, when Kindlegen detects indexing --the essence of dictionaries-- it downgrades to KF7 file format. I have seen similar reports in the Mobi/Prc Books forum.

Is there a way to bypass this problem? My future v0.5 dictionary needs this font to properly render Klingon translations!

BTW When opening the KF7 document with the (unreliable) Kindle Previewer, characters are correctly rendered using the embedded font:
Spoiler Warning below

show attachment » But the Kindle physical device refuses to use the font because the book's file format is not KF8.

#17  twobob 02-23-2013, 04:51 PM
There has to be! This is not a good day to die!

image »

hehehehe
Selection_212.png 

#18  shakaote 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM
I had similar problems, can't remember all the details. Things to try are mobigen (not calibre like I just typed.) ... are you sure you need kf8 for fonts?

Anyway, I punted and put my font in /mnt/us/fonts and set ENABLE_ALT_FONT(s), and went on with my life.

My font was in extended unicode, so getting it to show up on the kindle involved many, many possible points of failure.

#19  PoP 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Quote shakaote
I had similar problems, can't remember all the details. Things to try are mobigen (not calibre like I just typed.) ... are you sure you need kf8 for fonts?

Anyway, I punted and put my font in /mnt/us/fonts and set ENABLE_ALT_FONT(s), and went on with my life.

My font was in extended unicode, so getting it to show up on the kindle involved many, many possible points of failure.
Sure, Mobigen produces a KF6 mobi with no error:
Code
* Mobipocket mobigen.exe V6.2 build 43 *
* A command line e-book compiler *
* Copyright Mobipocket.com 2003-2008 *
opt compression: Mobipocket huffdic compression
opt verbose: verbose output
opt version: try to minimize (default)
Info(prcgen): Final stats - text compressed to (in % of original size): 015.60%
Info(prcgen): The document identifier is: "NADSAT_chell-ictionary_v0.5"
Info(prcgen): The file format version is V6Info(prcgen): Saving MOBI file
Info(prcgen): MOBI File successfully generated!
But the device still ignores the embedded font:
Spoiler Warning below

show attachment » I think that KF8 is the minimum trigger (though I am not sure of anything).

I agree that if all users of my dictionary had installed a Unicode font supporting these glyphs, there would be no need for embedding. That is the point : to prevent forcing new font installation.

Thanks for your much appreciated suggestions.

#20  shakaote 02-24-2013, 03:30 AM
Oh... I totally get it. Packing the Klingon font in the book is the way it ought to be. I'm just sayin'...

I'm not sure what the spoiler picture is demonstrating...

BTW, I have a touch 5.3.2. Your klingon.mobi does have Klingon glyphs in it. But it doesn't always work right; lots of Klingon show up, but the rest is stacked Tibetan characters (which, at 2am, seems half funny, half profound).

And that might be the problem. Klingon lives in the private use area of Unicode, and so does everyone else's great idea for a glyph. Tibetan has it's own range, so the fact that Tibetan stacking characters show up instead of Klingon suggests to me, anyway, that the Tibetan font put pre-composed stacked characters in the private use range, for, well, private use. I've also seen little-used Chinese characters showing up in the private use area until I set the font to what I put in /mnt/us/fonts, and they're from one of the stock CJK fonts. So maybe your Klingon is just getting stepped on (poor Klingon).

Hard to be sure without more tinkering. Do you have fonts in /mnt/us/fonts? It might also need 5.3.2. ?.

Annoying, but possible approaches, would be remapping your Klingon font to a range not used in stock kindles (maybe to Tibetan? Klingons would like that.), replacing the Klingon with html entities just to see if they survive through mobi/kindle gen better.

Good Luck! Kaplagh, or whatever!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register