Mobileread
PDF on Kindle 3 - An Unofficial Guide for Joe Average
#11  markom 11-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I installed KindlePDFViewer on my Kindle DX White and I'm very pleased with portrait fit-to-width cropping and with gamma correction (by volume +/- button) that quickly and easily improves contrast (makes letters darker) for poor scans.

Maybe you should correct this line in installation instructions:

- Connect your Kindle to your PC with usb cable, and copy the file you just downloaded, kindlepdfviewer-v2012.10.zip to your Kindle in folder “customupdates”.

by adding "and unzip it in there" because it misled me at first

Is it safe to have both Duokan and KindlePDFViewer installed at the same time without any issues, by firstly installing Duokan or after by using Kite as launcher for KindlePDFViewer (no need for jailbreaking) or even after Launchpad by unistalling the jailbreak ?

#12  hawhill 11-08-2012, 04:41 AM
The unzipping is done by launchpad's Shift-Shift-I sequence, so it is _not_ needed to do it manually. It would be the wrong target to unzip, too: When unzipping manually, the contents of the ZIP folder should go to the top level directory of the document partition (the Kindle "drive" on the host machine).

Duokan messes much more with the boot sequence, KindlePDFViewer doesn't at all (but Launchpad or Kite will, though). Having all that stuff installed at the same time is generally safe. I would not recommend to uninstall the jailbreak, though, but that's probably just personal preference. And "no need for jailbreaking" is only practically correct, technically both Kite and Duokan do jailbreaks, too.

Glad to hear you like the software :-)

#13  markom 11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for this nice app and clarification.

I blamed my failure at the first atempt on not unziping the file, but it was probably due to not being quick enough with typing.

On the second attempt I've unziped the file but luckily left ziped file there in root folder too and payed attention to message "successful" on the bottom of the screen after typing in letters, so all went well.

#14  hawhill 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes, launchpad can be a bit finicky regarding the timing :-) And it's "install" job is just an unzip anyway.

#15  sirmaru 11-08-2012, 12:46 PM
If you want perfect converstion of a PDF file to Kindle format for any kind of Kindle, see this:

If you really want to convert PDF files to Kindle format, first subscribe here to Adobe Export for $ 20.00 per year:

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/s...S|e|9201585503

Then send your resulting Word file after your own editing to your Kindle using the email address on the Manage Your Kindle page at Amazon.

That will give you a perfect Kindle file allowing Kindle fonts, highlighting, notes, bookmarks, etc.

I posted this in another thread as well because it gives PERFECT results.

#16  Kai771 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM
@Doitsu (and others that might be interested)

I just compiled the latest kpdfviewer build and uploaded it if you're interested to try it out. Improvements that chrox made to reflow mode are astonishing imno. The speed is drastically improved - those freezes of 10 sec or so are like 3 now. He also changed how he implemented configuration dialog - changes are applied when you close it now, not live - so it's much more responsive. I'd really like to hear your impressions, and if possible, comparison to quality of reflow in regards to duokan.

Update: Since it's now outdated, I removed the link and the file. Please use the newest official release of kpdfviewer.

#17  willus 11-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Quote sirmaru
If you want perfect converstion of a PDF file to Kindle format for any kind of Kindle, see this:

If you really want to convert PDF files to Kindle format, first subscribe here to Adobe Export for $ 20.00 per year:

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/s...S|e|9201585503

Then send your resulting Word file after your own editing to your Kindle using the email address on the Manage Your Kindle page at Amazon...
1. Your link is broken (goes to 404 Not Found page).
2. You start by talking about converting "PDF files to Kindle format," but the directions you give tell how to convert a Word file to the Kindle. That's very different.

#18  montalex 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote Kai771
@Doitsu (and others that might be interested)

I just compiled the latest kpdfviewer build and uploaded it if you're interested to try it out. Improvements that chrox made to reflow mode are astonishing imno. The speed is drastically improved - those freezes of 10 sec or so are like 3 now. He also changed how he implemented configuration dialog - changes are applied when you close it now, not live - so it's much more responsive. I'd really like to hear your impressions, and if possible, comparison to quality of reflow in regards to duokan.

Download link:
https://github.com/downloads/kai771/kindlepdfviewer/kindlepdfviewer-v2012.10-104-ga209ed3.zip
I just had a chance to try this most recent pdfviewer, and the reflow is indeed amazing! The best I've tried, much better than Duokan! I'm not getting any errors or weird spacing in the two books in pdf I have tried thus far (these books haven't worked on Duokan, nor on previous versions of pdfviewer. I've always avoided pdf's altogether on my Kindle 3, but now I'll have to rethink that. Most impressive! Thanks!

#19  Doitsu 11-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Quote Kai771
I just compiled the latest kpdfviewer build and uploaded it if you're interested to try it out. Improvements that chrox made to reflow mode are astonishing imno.
I'm also impressed by the improvements in speed, unfortunately, kpdfviewer still has some quirks that make reading in Reflow mode a bit difficult.

For example, when I tested this pdf from archive.org with it, I noticed that large chunks of text were often randomly carried over from one page to the next (p21_A.jpg & p21_B.jpg), which makes continuous reading rather difficult. Occasionally the Reflow feature also produced lines with just one word in it (p22_A.jpg).

(All screen captures where taken in sequence on my K3, and you can see the settings that I used in the last screen capture.)
p21_A.JPG p21_B.JPG p22_A.JPG menu_settings.jpg 

#20  wassal 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM
what about kindle 4 ?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register