Mobileread
Paperwhite vs Glow Kobo - specs please
#241  Mrs_Often 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote ragnor

So, the questions:

1) Can I highlight, use dictionary and annotate in all text formats (ePubs but also PDFs, txt, etc)
2) Highlighting text is so horrible and painful?
3) I read Kobo's firmware has some bugs and is tech service is not as good as we want, but which bugs are we talking about? Is unstable, or something?

What do you recommend me?
Hi Ragnor,

1) Yes. Correction: no. See next two posts.
2) Not really. You can tap-and-hold a word for a second and then start dragging your finger to select all the words you want selected. Once you've done that, the menu automatically opens to give you highlighting or annotations options etc. If you tap-and-hold longer without dragging, the dictionary will popup to show you the definition of the word.
3) The only current problematic bug in the newest firmware (2.1.4) is one that only affects you if you are reading content from a micro SD card. I'm not sure on the specifics, I think if you're reading a book from the SD card and put the reader to sleep, and then wake it up again the device will be unresponsive and restart. Having said that, the Kobo team has narrowed down the problem and a fix has been made which is currently being tested. JackAstor is keeping us up to date on that here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2862&page=5#71 So there will be a fix for that soon, and you won't even encounter the bug if you hold off from using an SD card for now.
3b) Indeed, the Kobo Customer Care is not always exactly very helpful. Now and again you do come across a really good customer care employee, but more often they only know solutions to simple things. Luckily, there's lots and lots of people here that can help with a lot of things. And when you're really in trouble the higher ups from Kobo are also extremely helpful.

I'd like to add that the Kobo is very useful in its international functionality. For me, that really sets it aside from the other devices. Dictionaries in all sorts of languages are available, for instance.

I would recommend a Kobo Glo over a Kindle PW, but I'm biassed

Good luck with your choice!

#242  robko 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote ragnor
1) Can I highlight, use dictionary and annotate in all text formats (ePubs but also PDFs, txt, etc)
3) I read Kobo's firmware has some bugs and is tech service is not as good as we want, but which bugs are we talking about? Is unstable, or something?

What do you recommend me?

Thanks! Kind regards!
1 - dictionary and annotate are NOT available in pdf, but are in the rest. There are was to export these if you want, but you'll have to search the forums for how to do it (not native functionality). Only annotations/bookmarks in kepubs (Kobo bought books) are synced to Kobo's servers and recoverable if you have a major meltdown or lose your Kobo.
2 - after reading in another post to ignore the handles and just move, I would say it's not bad (but I really don't use it much, so take my opinion with a few grains of salt).
3 - IMHO only big bug is sd card reboots and that should be fixed shortly barring a major showstopper.

I've had all 4 versions of the Kobo e-reader and I would recommend it for reading. Screen from what I've seen of pictures is better on the Glo vs Paperwhite. It looks like you're planning to use it for specific academic type uses, so it's probably worth doing as much specific digging as you can. My usage (and likely a lot of those on here) probably wouldn't resemble yours at all.

#243  davidfor 10-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote ragnor
So, the questions:

I have never tested before, but it doesn't support the dictionary or annotations for PDFs and TXT. I assume it will only do it fro ePub and kepub.
For single words, it is easy. For longer text, see http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193074 for a discussion on how to do it and opinions.
With the recently released firmware, there is an issue with reading epubs that are on the SD card. If you are reading one and let the reader go to sleep, when you wake it and press the screen the reader restarts. That is the only situation that I am sure of. There have been some other restarts mentioned, but I don't have a feel for whether they are related to this problem or are something else. Kobo are fixing the problem now and appear to have pulled

Overall, the Kobo Touch, the predecessor to the Glo, has been stable. Just about any restart I have had was due to me doing something that I probably shouldn't have.

#244  Andrey6 10-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Kobo service is awful. They talk many nice words but do no good things. Kobos dictionaries are awful too. Even English dictionary. Firmware is one big bug (with SD or without one).
I'll return Kobo Glo and will buy Paperwite.

#245  ottdmk 10-11-2012, 11:10 PM
While highlighting for annotations doesn't work in PDF, you can set a bookmark and add a note.

As for Kobo's customer service... I've only dealt with them twice, but both times I found them to be polite and reasonable. Both matters were resolved satisfactorily.

Even on firmware 2.0.0 I find my Touch to be an awesome device that I love using. I would recommend Kobo to anyone.

#246  Cdesja5 10-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Quote ottdmk
While highlighting for annotations doesn't work in PDF, you can set a bookmark and add a note.

As for Kobo's customer service... I've only dealt with them twice, but both times I found them to be polite and reasonable. Both matters were resolved satisfactorily.

Even on firmware 2.0.0 I find my Touch to be an awesome device that I love using. I would recommend Kobo to anyone.
Well said but I'm not sure there's any point responding to these posts. I suspect there is now a resident troll or two on the Kobo forum. Wonder why they bother if Kobo has such awful products. Just doing their civic duty I guess...note that they never offer specifics, just a diss and the vow to buy a Kindle.

#247  Iskariot 10-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Quote ragnor
Hi,

I'm trying to decide what ebook I should buy, Paperwhite or Kobo Glo.
You should take into consideration that if you buy Kindle, you buy into a closed format system. Personally I would never do that, even if it was the only e-reader on the planet.

I have no personal experience with Kobo products, but at least they use an open format system.

Perhaps you should also take into consideration the upcoming Onyx Boox Firefly (it will get released this month).
This reader is also open format and it supports virtually everything you might ever want to read on an e-reader, including comics.

The price might at first seem high, but it includes a 16 Gb memory card, protective cover, USB data cable and USB charger out of the box. So the price is actually very competitive for what it offers.

Furthermore it features 8 Gb internal memory!!!! which is unique and also a Hires screen, frontlighting, audio jack, TTS etc.

Also their annotation system is said to be very sophisticated.

I personally am considering the Onix Firefly as my next reader now.

#248  ragnor 10-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Hi,

Thanks for all your answers!!

For now, I'm more inclined to buy a Kobo than PW.
I think it has more possibilities. I'm only concerned about firmware issues and restarts, and the though about PW having a more stable device.

For Kindle, I think that there's a way to open other type formats using programs like Caliber and converters, but I don't know how much limited is this. I think internal memory is a more important factor, in my opinion.

BTW, I still don't getting why they put only 2GB of internal memory (and only available memory in PaperWhite). Nowadays, 4 or even 8GB are extremely cheap, and it's a shame that a device which costs >100$/€ only has 2GB.

Thanks again!!
Greets!

#249  Canuck_in_Japan 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Good question. I think most people probably don't need more than 2GB.i consider myself a fairly active reader (maybe not compared to people on this forum) and I only have about 60 books on my reader. I don't now how much free space i have but it's probably a ton.

#250  treadlightly 10-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote ragnor
I'm only concerned about firmware issues and restarts, and the though about PW having a more stable device.
I've had my Glo a week now, read three novels and had no restarts.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (25/28)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register