Mobileread
PRS-T1 Questions about repartitioning
#11  uboot 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
the full image won't help you with repartitioning. it's for backup purposes only. additionally, you will have to dump each partition one by one...

don't touch the first 2 partitions (the primary ones)!

you don't have to resize system partition. leave it as it is. app get installed to data partition.

data partition and reader partition do not have to be restored. simply format data to ext4 and reader to fat32. and give them the right labels (READER and data). uppon boot, the reader will re-initialize them.

all other partitions (system, fonts, etc.) are kept untouched. backup them one by one and then restore them one by one.

so the steps are:
1.) backup extended partitions (logical drives, mmcblk2p4...mmcblk10)
2.) delete extended partitions
3.) recreate extended partitions with the first one shrunken by the size you wanna enlarge data partition
4.) restore extended partitions

#12  rupor 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Paragon and Actronis could resize partitions without loosing data - no need to backup restore each individual one. Exception is /system which is ext4

#13  simongee 05-14-2012, 05:38 PM
ok great thanks again guys, you're helping me alot
The only thing thats still a little unclear to me is how to backup and restore the individual partitions one by one.
Tbh i dont need any stuff thats on there, so why cant i just instead of the steps uboot listed:
so the steps are:
1.) backup extended partitions (logical drives, mmcblk2p4...mmcblk10)
2.) delete extended partitions
3.) recreate extended partitions with the first one shrunken by the size you wanna enlarge data partition
4.) restore extended partitions
just skip 1.), do 2.) and 3.) and flash your new 1.04 sd rescue after that? or boroda’s recovery pack? Not possible?

And i still have to decide which tool to use, since i dont have a paid partition tool, i was looking for a free one.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.1 was my favourite, but i also got Paragon Partition Manager 11 Free Edition now.
Both should do the job, right? Any opinions?

#14  uboot 05-15-2012, 06:00 AM
surely you can use the sd rescue package, but why?

have you ever used a partitioning tool to move / resize / backup / restore partitions?

#15  simongee 05-15-2012, 08:06 AM
surely you can use the sd rescue package, but why?
well as I said, i got a bit confused by your answer and was looking for an alternative, let me explain. You said
the full image won't help you with repartitioning. it's for backup purposes only. additionally, you will have to dump each partition one by one...
(I knew how to do the full backup, but was not sure how to dump each partition by itself.) but then you said
data partition and reader partition do not have to be restored. uppon boot, the reader will re-initialize them. all other partitions (system, fonts, etc.) are kept untouched. backup them one by one and then restore them one by one.
I was thinking well, I would only touch /data and READER. And upon reboot they would be re-initialized by the reader. So whats the point of doing any backup at all? Wouldn't it be easier to just delete - recreate - label - reboot? why backing up and restoring partitions i didnt even touch? On top of that I was going to start from a clean state anyway (cleanup/unroot->root->repartition) without any data on it i would lose. Thats why the rescue-packages came to my mind. They contain everything what has to be on the reader at that point.

have you ever used a partitioning tool to move / resize / backup / restore partitions?
Yes i have, but I said I'm nor a linux-guy. I used it to resize/move/create partitions on my external hdd and on my laptop. But the only filesystems I worked with are ntfs/fat/fat32. I never had to backup/restore a partition, I just copy/pasted the content...

#16  uboot 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM
ok, got ya

the point is that in order to resize the data partition you have to

1.) shrink reader partition which is a primary partition at the _end_ of the disk
2.) enlarge extended partion which is the third partition of the disk
3.) move system partition to the end of the extended partition
4.) enlarge data partition

so you're right - no backups / restoring necessary, as long as your partition tool is able to resize / move the stuff around

#17  ewandeep 05-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Quote uboot
ok, got ya

1.) shrink reader partition which is a primary partition at the _end_ of the disk

so you're right - no backups / restoring necessary, as long as your partition tool is able to resize / move the stuff around
Simongee, please let us know if you succeed in this operation. I will try too, thanks

#18  simongee 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Quote uboot
ok, got ya

@uboot
I did a full backup with rupor's method before i started.
Then i have done exactly those steps. But there is a problem
I used Paragon Partition Manager.
1) shrunk the READER partition -> ok
2) enlarge extended partition -> ok
3) move system partition to the end of extended -> ok
4) enlarge data partition -> fail...
tool wasnt able to do that, so i deleted data and recreated new ext4 partition exactly where the old one was, but with a new size. Labeled it "data". But it was empty now. So i thought about you telling me:
data partition and reader partition do not have to be restored. uppon boot, the reader will re-initialize them
so i rebooted, but reader wouldnt boot up. So i used the sd-recovery pack. After that the reader booted fine.
All fine, just as before, so i rooted again.
Now here is the problem:
The reader still thinks /data / phone storage is 48 MB...
When i boot to recovery and look at the partitions of the reader in Paragon it shows the correct new size. But on the reader i cant use the full size?
Any idea why?

#19  uboot 05-18-2012, 06:11 AM
i suspect you didn't format the data partition to ext4 after resizing. it is not enough to set the file system type in partition table. partition has to be formated as well.

which sd recovery did you use? mine? or porkupans?

porkupans will flash 48mb data partition, but can be resized to partition boundary with resize2fs from recovery console (you have to download that tool).

mine will format data partition (and reader partition, so beware!)

#20  simongee 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM
YES! GOT IT!

again thank u uboot, you were exactly right. I just created new /data (ext4) partition, but didnt format it... i was somehow assuming it would be already formated as ext4 after creating it.
So for u guys that want to try this too, i would like to add that i dont know anything about linux. I was able to do this without typing one single command into any console.
JUST DONT MESS WITH ANY OTHER PARTITION THAN READER, /data, /system
If u read this thread and have some experience with partitions under windows, this is totally doable. So here is what i did after my last post and uboot told me about formating the new partition:

1) restored my backup i had made with rupor's method (tool: Roadkil's Disk Image)
2) connected to pc in recovery mode
3) this time i didnt use Paragon Free Edition. It was really annoying me as it was only doing stuff after rebooting the pc every time. So i switched to MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.1 (from here: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html)
4) shrink READER partition (keep it at the end of the drive, creating free space between READER and /system)
5) move /system to the end of extended partition. Now there is free space between /data and /system)
6) tool cant enlarge /data to the beginning of /system, which is what i wanted to do. So i deleted /data and created new ext4 partition in the space that is now free. Labeled it "data". Then FORMATED it as "ext4"
7) Now /data is empty. I tried to reboot. Reader wouldnt boot up
8) Tried uboot's new 1.04 sd recovery. Didnt work.

@uboot
It didnt work. Just as the 1st time i tried it. Reader stuck in "opening book" screen forever. I waited 2 hours, sd still blinking, no rebooting... So i pressed "reset"... Luckily it did nothing at all. I was really afraid pressing reset while led still blinking. Also no log file created... Something is wrong with it maybe? did u try it urself?

9) So i used "PRS-T1_SD_UPDATER_1.0.04.12210" by amutin from here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22502
10) reader booted up fine. Rooted again using rupors package. BUT after checking "phone storage" under settings, still only 48 MB on /data But now i knew why! The sd-recovery flashed the old /data partition back which is 48 MB.
11) So back to recovery/Partitioning tool. TBH i dont really understand why this next thing worked. I formated /data again using "format partition" in the tool. But after formating, only the size changed and there was still data on it. So i rebooted and BAM, reader asked for initial settings. Root still there. "Phone storage" 520 MB.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register