Mobileread
AZW3 format - Calibre problem
#21  JSWolf 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote babarous
If you can't email them as azw3, then why not just use calibre to convert them to plain old .mobi, then email it to your kindle?
Not a good idea since deva1984 has a Kindle Touch.

#22  HarryT 08-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote deva1984
But even without DRM, azw3 files still cannot be sent to @kindle.com as personal documents? I thought amazon said azw3 files were supported
Are you sure that it's not simply the ".azw3" extension that Amazon doesn't like? Try renaming the file to have a ".prc" or ".mobi" extension, and see if that helps.

#23  deva1984 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote HarryT
Are you sure that it's not simply the ".azw3" extension that Amazon doesn't like? Try renaming the file to have a ".prc" or ".mobi" extension, and see if that helps.
You know what? I had actually tried this dirty way before. And amazon was proven to be more clever than that.

I use the same method babarous have suggested currently. Not so bad, just one more step indeed.

#24  GOGGS75 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Hi

I have a kinlde touch and have tried to create a AZW3 file instead of a MOBI to get rid of some formatting problems with an ebook I created.

Calibre converts to AZW3 successfully I think but does not list it as a format that can be sent to the device? I have tried changing the extension of the file selected to AZW but this makes no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem with Calibre?

Cheers

#25  HarryT 08-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Quote GOGGS75
Hi

I have a kinlde touch and have tried to create a AZW3 file instead of a MOBI to get rid of some formatting problems with an ebook I created.

Calibre converts to AZW3 successfully I think but does not list it as a format that can be sent to the device? I have tried changing the extension of the file selected to AZW but this makes no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem with Calibre?

Cheers
You need to check the "AZW3" box in Calibre's Kindle driver. By default it's not enabled.

To do this, select "Preferences", then navigate to "Plug-ins", "Device interface plug-ins", select the "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch" item, and click the "Customise plug-in" button. You'll see a list of formats that can be sent to the Kindle; check "AZW3", then click "OK" to save the changes.

You may need to restart Calibre for the change to take effect, but you should then find that you can send AZW3 files to your Kindle.

Hope this helps!

#26  HarryT 08-11-2012, 04:01 AM
You know, I'm always happy to help, but wouldn't it be nice if people were to say "thank you" just occasionally?

#27  Kumabjorn 08-11-2012, 04:10 AM
I try to remember that, but once in a moon I might forget, or be in a hurry. But yes, I agree, if people don't appreciate your help they go on the block messages from this user.

#28  cindyw9 08-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote itimpi
Have you taken any steps to remove DRM on these files in case the Calibre message is correct? If a book DOES ahve DRM then you need to get it removed before Calibre can do anything other than file it for you.
I removed calibre and kindle for the pc from my system (completely) and then reloaded them both along with the calibre plug-ins and both me and my calibre are very happy now. It works fine with the azw3 files now.

I found when I just work with calibre itself installing and uninstalling just didnt work, but when I did the kindle for pc uninstall and reinstall 'something' clicked!

Just thought I'd pass this along.

#29  GOGGS75 08-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Harry T

I have now read your thread and tried what you suggested. AZW3 is now available on my Kindle touch.

Thanks for your help.

#30  cindyw9 08-24-2012, 11:39 PM
I found removing calibre and the kindle for pc and then and then reloading calibre - updating the plugs and then reloading the kindle for pc made the azw3 files acceptable.

They now work fine for me in calibre.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register