Mobileread
convert rar to epub
#1  chipa 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Can someone please let me know how you convert a rar file to a epub file. The help would be fantastic. thank you.

#2  HarryT 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Moderator Notice
Please do not post the same question in multiple forums. You've already asked the same question on the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

Thank you.

#3  vxf 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Quote chipa
Can someone please let me know how you convert a rar file to a epub file. The help would be fantastic. thank you.
While I am by no means an expert - here is my limited knowledge.

.rar is a compressed file. Basically a single file that contains one or (more often) multiple files, compressed to save space. To open a .rar, you need a specific utility. For example, WinRar (google it, you should be able to get it for free).

Once you open the rar archive with WinRar, you will find multiple files inside. One of them could be an epub. If there is no epub in the rar, then you need to convert the files inside the rar to an epub. How to do that exactly depends on the type of files you have inside the rar - but the generic advice is to use Calibre (also, if you google it, you should find it easily - it's free, but donations are accepted).

#4  rkomar 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
If the rar contains image files, then I would recommend creating a PDF file rather than EPUB with Calibre. See this thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164266

#5  bill_mchale 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
As VXF stated, .rar files are not an ebook format. They are an archive format like .zip or .tar. So, you can't simply convert into an epub. It is possible that an actual ebook format is contained with in such an archive, but you will have to extract the file. I would point out that books obtained from this format have a high probability of being an from a file sharing site and therefore, you have no way of knowing if the contents contained within it are actually something you want on your computer.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register