Mobileread
Original "Simple" debricking methods for K5-Touch, K4-Mini, & K3-Keyboard
#101  geekmaster 03-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Quote mars77
hello!

my kindle is bricked too, stuck at the screen with the tree.
it gets unstuck/reboots when using mfg tool and the main profile and i can use my kindle then until i restart it or power it off, then it is stuck again.

i dont understand much about what is written in this thread, maybe someone with more experience than me is willing to waste his valueable time and help me out and contact me on icq (75955166) to give some dedicated help?

have a nice weekend!
First, what model kindle is it? How to fix it depends on the model.

Assuming it is a K4 or touch, it sounds like your bootmode var is probably set to fastboot mode. You need to set it to main. You can do this with fastboot:

fastboot setvar bootmode main

Or you can set it from diagnotics mode at an SSH command prompt or in a RUNME.sh script launched by my data.tar.gz that you can download in the "Select Boot" thread.

To use a RUNME.sh script, you also need an ENABLE_DIAGS file so it runs in diags mode. Put these commands in a RUNME.sh script, or execute them from an SSH shell in diags mode:

idme -d --bootmode main
rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
reboot

The information provided above is duplicated multiple times in this forum, and once again here.

You need to provide enough information with your request so that people can help you without needing to guess or make potentially incorrect assumptions.

Again, what model is your kindle?

#102  mars77 03-25-2012, 05:19 AM
its working now, thanks so much!

#103  geekmaster 03-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote mars77
its working now, thanks so much!
Okay, I added a link to your successful debricking report post to the "successful debricking reports" list on the first post in this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

If there are any successful debricking report posts anywhere in the mobileread forums that are not in my list, please let me know so I can add them. Thanks.

#104  js1d3 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote geekmaster
Okay, I added a link to your successful debricking report post to the "successful debricking reports" list on the first post in this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

If there are any successful debricking report posts anywhere in the mobileread forums that are not in my list, please let me know so I can add them. Thanks.
Hey man I got a question, sorry but I difficulty understand the previous instructions. I ask if there were a debricking mode but only utilizing linux, which version of Linux do you recommend to use and how it works on kindle touch last model. I find problems to understand the previous debrincking steps in my foreign language for windows, I hope to fix my kindle almos a month with a kid and the tree. Thanks man for all the posts.

#105  geekmaster 03-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote js1d3
Hey man I got a question, sorry but I difficulty understand the previous instructions. I ask if there were a debricking mode but only utilizing linux, which version of Linux do you recommend to use and how it works on kindle touch last model. I find problems to understand the previous debrincking steps in my foreign language for windows, I hope to fix my kindle almos a month with a kid and the tree. Thanks man for all the posts.
What spoken language(s) can you read fluently? If you are using machine translation on these threads, you could try a different translator. Google translate is not ALWAYS the best one for all languages.

I use linux mint (an ubuntu-based linux distro), but at the command line it is really just a debian distro, just like in the kindle.

So, I would recommend a debian distro, just so you can be familiar with apt-get and other debian tools, in case you want to install them in your kindle.

The problem is that MfgTool only runs in Windows, but you would run windows in a VM (like VirtualBox), which is what I do.

#106  geekmaster 03-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote qsoo
Quote geekmaster
Quote qsoo
Hello, can u help me?
I'm not good at english, so I cant understand what is in post: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=167908&page=4

I have trouble with my Kindle Touch. I cant leave diagnostics mode, got an error "device_info.xml not found, check device settings."
I've install jailbreake and language update.
Can you tell me what should I do, to revert to normal mode.
You need to change your bootmode idme var to main. You can set it from diagnotics mode at an SSH command prompt or in a RUNME.sh script launched by my data.tar.gz that you can download in the "Select Boot" thread.

To use a RUNME.sh script, you also need an ENABLE_DIAGS file so it runs in diags mode. Put these commands in a RUNME.sh script, or execute them from an SSH shell in diags mode:

idme -d --bootmode main
rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
reboot
Thx a lot!
It works)
I am glad it worked out. I linked this success report to the first post.

#107  murz_07 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi again.
CAN ANYBODY PLEASE get main kernel image and post it here?
I really need it!

#108  TCCPhreak 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Hello,

after some experiments, I guess my Kindle (4, nontouch) is broken pretty good. Fun is: I didn't even try anything strange - it froze while trying to connect to a network and then never bounced back.

Originally, i could reboot it to the startscreen, with the loading bar stuck at about half. After some time, it rebooted. It did that again and again and din't care whether it was connected to PC, Power supply or not at all.

After finding this forum, I was able to use MfgTool to boot into debug mode. Unfortunately, it froze soon after. With some more tries and quick copying I was able to activate USB-storage and to get the "ENABLE_DIAGS" file onto it. This way, I at least could try some stuff before the kindle froze. Still, it didn't help much.

Starting fastboot and connecting via fastboot worked (I installed the driver via inf-wizard in libusb). That way, I at least knew that some parts still work. The kindle doesn't seem to crash in fastboot but - of course - it's not of much use in fastboot. I can verify the information from getvar (mac, serial, product) and the kindle responds to information from here but it doesn't help me getting it up and running, again.

"fastboot check" reports CRC-failures on bist, userdata, kernel, diags_kernel, system, diags and data. Even after doing a "fastboot erase diags", check fails. Same response after "fastboot flash diags mmc..." (I dd'ed the partitions from another kindle 4nt as I didn't find a diags backup online) - although it sometimes fixes that "not booting to diags but to black screen" problem.
I tried flashing "system" with mmcblk0p1.bin and although fastboot pretends that is succeeded (still check fails), I've read that fastboot 350MB is too much for flashing via fastboot and should be written via dd - once you can use usb-net (which I can't because diags mode freezes before I can do anything).

For the record: I tried bootmodes factory and reset and although my kindle did "something" after reboot, it refused to load correctly.
Some little thing that confused me: The "Adjust battery" in diags mode often reports a negative battery charge current. Still, that screen assured me that charging the battery works. When the Kindle is connected to a charging device, the device battery level rises.. (up to 100 where it is at the moment).

Very many thanks for all the documentation and tools that have been compiled in this forum. Without these, I'd have given up some time ago and I guess this will prove useful if I ever decide to toy with my next Kindle.

I'm pretty much labeling this Kindle "broken beyond repair", so if anyone has some ideas, experimental kernels or stuff like this, I'd be more than happy to try it.

Regards,

TCC

#109  hostar 03-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Quote TCCPhreak
diags mode freezes before I can do anything).

For the record: I tried bootmodes factory and reset and although my kindle did "something" after reboot, it refused to load correctly.
Some little thing that confused me: The "Adjust battery" in diags mode often reports a negative battery charge current. Still, that screen assured me that charging the battery works. When the Kindle is connected to a charging device, the device battery level rises.. (up to 100 where it is at the moment).
Does it mean, that you can select "Adjust battery", but can't select Enable USBnet? As you wrote, dd the main partition with correct backup should fix it.

Can you select in diags "Export USB device"?
If so, you can try to install RUNME hack and put RUNME.sh with proper commands inside to Kindle. For that proper content refer partially to instructions here:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...70&postcount=3

From link above follow instructions from point 1)
EXCEPT - the data.tar.gz download from here:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645
(see attached files)
Thanks geekmaster, I didn't know that exists some universal file.

I think that's all I can say to your problem.
Also I appreciate that you asked after trying all options and you was looking on forum for answers.

murz_07:
Spoiler Warning below

you can download whole partition from first post and extract the kernel.
EDIT: murz_07: Nope, you can't

#110  geekmaster 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Quote hostar
From link above follow instructions from point 1)
EXCEPT - the data.tar.gz download from here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/kindle-nt-jailbreak-1.0.zip
(use just data.tar.gz from archive, ignore other files)
That old data.tar.gz from your download link only works for the kindle model it was designed for (K4 or Touch). Using it on the wrong kindle will brick that kindle. Too many kindles were bricked by running the wrong data.tar.gz, which is why I created a generic version of it that works on all kindle models. It is the one that is recommended by the first post in this thread, and you can download it from this "Select Boot" first post: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645
Quote hostar
murz_07: you can download whole partition from first post and extract the kernel.
The kernel is not stored in the partition images that you can download. The kernels are stored in the mmc at a different location, inside /dev/mmcblk0 (the entire mmc device). The only one that I am aware of that you can download is the diagnostics kernel for the Touch.

Extracting kernel images from mmcblk0 takes a bit of effort. We typical backup only the first 32MB of /dev/mmcblk0, which contains all the stuff outside the normal partitions.

I plan to write a script to make backing up these kernel images easier.

Because kernel versions should match the partition they boot, it would help to know the kindle model AND firmware version, but using the wrong kernel version should still work (better than being bricked, at least).

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (11/139)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register