Mobileread
Can't open file error with kindle fire
#1  Zipdaman12 12-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Hello all. I am trying to get calibre content server and my kindle fire to work properly. I can connect and the selected mobi file downloads properly. However, once I click on it in the new message area, it never opens or appears in my documents folder. It presents me with an error "can't open file". The same file will show up automatically in the docs folder if I email it.

Please advise,

Jack

#2  DoctorOhh 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote Zipdaman12
Hello all. I am trying to get calibre content server and my kindle fire to work properly. I can connect and the selected mobi file downloads properly. However, once I click on it in the new message area, it never opens or appears in my documents folder. It presents me with an error "can't open file".
I don't have a Fire but recall folks saying download mobi won't show up until you restart the Fire. Another wonderful Kindle feature?

#3  Zipdaman12 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Strange. I just tried powering down. It is weird because it wasn't there after reboot. Is it because my content server is password protected? It is behaving differently since I password protected it. Before I I'd, it would download and not open. Now it wont even download.

Help........

#4  itimpi 12-24-2011, 04:09 PM
I have read messages to the effect that the browser in the Kindle Fire cannot work with the Calibre Content server if you have set a username/password. This is apparently because Android based systems do not support the required authentication protocol.

#5  Zipdaman12 12-24-2011, 05:14 PM
That makes a lot of sense. But, when I remove authentication altogether, I have another problem. The book seems to download, but then I get a failed to open error... Sorry all but I am desperate. My iPad works fine, but my kids kindles are the issue... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays everyone.

#6  RickD 12-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Quote Zipdaman12
That makes a lot of sense. But, when I remove authentication altogether, I have another problem. The book seems to download, but then I get a failed to open error... Sorry all but I am desperate. My iPad works fine, but my kids kindles are the issue... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays everyone.
I just got mine working, by removing the authentication part. However, certain books won't open directly on the Kindle Fire. I've found that the .prc files won't open.

Might behoove you to check the type of file you're grabbing over wifi and make sure the kindle can read it.

I have only downloaded PDF files so far so I'm not sure about the rest of them.

#7  Babbabooey 12-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Quote Zipdaman12

Happy holidays everyone.

I have the exact same problem.. I can see my Calibre Library using the web browser on the Kindle, and can 'get' the books fine, but they all say 'cannot open file'. I've got no authentication on the Calibre web server, and have rebooted the kindle to see if they then show up, but no luck.

Please help !!!

#8  pwayne66 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Same issue with the Fire here. Content server works, downloads successfully as .mobi file but the Kindle doesn't know what to do with it. I get "Cannot Open File" when I try to launch from the download notification area. I have downloaded "File Expert" and located the file on the SD card under the Downloads folder and attempted to open there, but it prompts me to identify if the file is a "Text, audio, video or image" file. When I select text (b/c it seems to be the best option) it prompts me to associate the file with HTMLViewer or QuickOffice, but no option for the Kindle app.

#9  wallcraft 12-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Quote pwayne66
I have downloaded "File Expert" and located the file on the SD card under the Downloads folder and attempted to open there, but it prompts me to identify if the file is a "Text, audio, video or image" file. When I select text (b/c it seems to be the best option) it prompts me to associate the file with HTMLViewer or QuickOffice, but no option for the Kindle app.
Are you sure you have File Expert? The behavior you describe is what happens with File Explorer. File Expert adds a "More.." option to the "Open With" table and this allows you to associate Kindle to the ebook.

Either way, if you move the ebook file to Books or Documents and reboot it will show up.

#10  pwayne66 12-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Quote wallcraft
Are you sure you have File Expert? The behavior you describe is what happens with File Explorer. File Expert adds a "More.." option to the "Open With" table and this allows you to associate Kindle to the ebook.

Either way, if you move the ebook file to Books or Documents and reboot it will show up.
Ah! You are correct. Thanks for your help. At this point seems that using the integrated Calibre email fuction to the kindle account is just about as straight forward as I need. Book shows up in my Documents queue in about ten minutes and no reboot or file managment required. Appreciate the all the help that I have found on the forum!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register