Mobileread
Page numbers not functional on Kindle Touch
#21  shinew 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Quote Skydog
But how do I accomplish the same task with the Kindle app for iOS? My converted .mobis do not display page numbers in the app. Calibre is set to the default of inserting the [PDOC] tag during conversion. Should I remove this or replace it with something else prior to conversion? How can page numbers be incorporated in the converted mobi file without creating a separate (APNX) file?
On iOS it's trickier, for some reason the Kindle app treats every side-loaded file as documents so it doesn't natively support page number. To enable page number, you'll need to have a jailbroken iPad/iPhone & a file browser such as iFile(or you can use SSH/SFTP if you know what you're doing).

Basically you just need to rename the APNX files and copy all the APNX files from Kindle -> Documents to Kindle -> Library -> PageNumbers and all the MOBI files to Kindle -> Libray -> eBooks folder. Below are the steps you can follow for the iFile method:
  1. rename your generated APNX file to "book-asin-number.apnx", not the mobi file's name. For example if your book name is "My Book.mobi" and it has the ASIN # as "B00001", the APNX file should be named "B00001.apnx" and not "My Book.apnx"
  2. connect to itunes, drag & drop all the books(mobi) and renamed APNX files to the Kindle app
  3. open iFile, then go to Sidebar -> Application -> Kindle -> Documents, hit "Edit" and choose "Cut" for all the files with APNX extension, hit "Done"
  4. go to parent dir, then Library -> PageNumbers, hit "Edit" and paste all the APNX file here
  5. go back to the "Documents" folder, "cut" all the mobi files you would like to have page number enabled
  6. go to parent dir, then Library -> eBook, hit "Edit" and paste all the MOBI files here

Now you should have page number enabled on the iPad for the books you've copied.

#22  tilia 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote Skydog
Thanks for the tips but I still have a problem with the suggestions below. When I connect my KT, all my plugins on Calibre's toolbar disappear and only reappear when I disconnect the device. I created APNX files and manually copied them to the SDR folders and that worked.
You can customise the different toolbars in calibre. Go to Preferences>Toolbar and choose "Main toolbar when device is connected" in the drop-down menu. You can also add plugins to the context(right-click) menu.

#23  Skydog 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Quote shinew
On iOS it's trickier, for some reason the Kindle app treats every side-loaded file as documents so it doesn't natively support page number. To enable page number, you'll need to have a jailbroken iPad/iPhone & a file browser such as iFile(or you can use SSH/SFTP if you know what you're doing).

Basically you just need to rename the APNX files and copy all the APNX files from Kindle -> Documents to Kindle -> Library -> PageNumbers and all the MOBI files to Kindle -> Libray -> eBooks folder. Below are the steps you can follow for the iFile method:
  1. rename your generated APNX file to "book-asin-number.apnx", not the mobi file's name. For example if your book name is "My Book.mobi" and it has the ASIN # as "B00001", the APNX file should be named "B00001.apnx" and not "My Book.apnx"
  2. connect to itunes, drag & drop all the books(mobi) and renamed APNX files to the Kindle app
  3. open iFile, then go to Sidebar -> Application -> Kindle -> Documents, hit "Edit" and choose "Cut" for all the files with APNX extension, hit "Done"
  4. go to parent dir, then Library -> PageNumbers, hit "Edit" and paste all the APNX file here
  5. go back to the "Documents" folder, "cut" all the mobi files you would like to have page number enabled
  6. go to parent dir, then Library -> eBook, hit "Edit" and paste all the MOBI files here

Now you should have page number enabled on the iPad for the books you've copied.
Thank you, shinew, for your very helpful response. I would have never figured this out on my own.

#24  Skydog 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Quote tilia
You can customise the different toolbars in calibre. Go to Preferences>Toolbar and choose "Main toolbar when device is connected" in the drop-down menu. You can also add plugins to the context(right-click) menu.
Thank you very much -- I figured it was a matter of operator error!

#25  Larla 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
After moving the .apnx file to the sdr folder do the page numbers show at the bottom of every screen or do you still have to tap the top of the screen to see the page number?

#26  Pink Floyd 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote Larla
After moving the .apnx file to the sdr folder do the page numbers show at the bottom of every screen or do you still have to tap the top of the screen to see the page number?
Nope! you have to tap the top screen to have page numbers.

#27  Larla 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Bummer --

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register