Mobileread
Touch Kobo touch frozen on "connected and charging" screen
#1  EricLandes 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I may have removed my Kobo a bit too quickly from its USB connection, and now I'm stuck on the black "Connected and Charging" screen. Paper clip reset attempts are not working.

Any magic combination of button/slide presses that might get me out of this? I don't think it's a dead battery issue, as the battery was near full before I plugged it in, and it wasn't connected for long.

Ideas?

#2  Joe563 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Quote EricLandes
I may have removed my Kobo a bit too quickly from its USB connection, and now I'm stuck on the black "Connected and Charging" screen. Paper clip reset attempts are not working.

Any magic combination of button/slide presses that might get me out of this? I don't think it's a dead battery issue, as the battery was near full before I plugged it in, and it wasn't connected for long.

Ideas?
Something like this happened to me once so I reconnected the reader to the computer and that triggered the Read or Manage prompt and I was back in business. Does the recharging light come on when you reconnect the reader? If it does you could also try fully recharging the reader and then try to turn it off or 'pin reset' it. If none of these options work you may have corrupted your Kobo data and to correct it you would have to do a factory reset.

#3  EricLandes 07-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote Joe563
Something like this happened to me once so I reconnected the reader to the computer and that triggered the Read or Manage prompt and I was back in business. Does the recharging light come on when you reconnect the reader? If it does you could also try fully recharging the reader and then try to turn it off or 'pin reset' it.
Reconnecting it didn't trigger any change, but the recharging light has come on. I'll let it sit for a bit and see what happens.

#4  Joe563 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM
If that doesn't work you may have corrupted your Kobo data and to fix it you will have to do a factory reset by simultaneously pressing a couple of the e-reader buttons. Which buttons depends on the version of the reader you are using.

#5  EricLandes 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote Joe563
If that doesn't work you may have corrupted your Kobo data and to fix it you will have to do a factory reset by simultaneously pressing a couple of the e-reader buttons. Which buttons depends on the version of the reader you are using.
Well, the screen's gone fully black now. So maybe it was a battery drain issue. Still waiting to see if it comes back.

In any case, I'm using a touch: which buttons would I need to press to do a factory reset on that?

#6  Joe563 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Quote EricLandes
Well, the screen's gone fully black now. So maybe it was a battery drain issue. Still waiting to see if it comes back.

In any case, I'm using a touch: which buttons would I need to press to do a factory reset on that?
It's a fairly drastic step to factory reset your touch since you would lose all of your data and settings so it is a last resort. One more thing you could try when your unit is fully recharged is to try to shut it off by holding the power off slider in the off position for about 10 seconds.

#7  taming 07-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Home button and power button simultaneously, I believe. If nothing less drastic works...

#8  EricLandes 07-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote Joe563
It's a fairly drastic step to factory reset your touch since you would lose all of your data and settings so it is a last resort. One more thing you could try when your unit is fully recharged is to try to shut it off by holding the power off slider in the off position for about 10 seconds.
Well, keeping it connected until the charging light went off then turning it back on seemed to have fixed the problem.

Thanks Joe!

#9  m_bisson 07-10-2011, 04:20 PM
That's normal. It takes more juice to boot up than just to idle, so if the battery is dead you won't be able to restart it right away after plugging it in. Expect this EVERY time you drain the battery completely.

#10  EricLandes 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Quote m_bisson
That's normal. It takes more juice to boot up than just to idle, so if the battery is dead you won't be able to restart it right away after plugging it in. Expect this EVERY time you drain the battery completely.
I'll have to watch things, but I could have sworn I'd just charged it a couple days before. That's why I didn't initially consider a fully-drained battery to be the issue.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register