Mobileread
Kindle vs Nook US market share
#1  jehane 02-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Bloomberg article

The Kindle has a market share of 67 percent in the U.S., followed by the Nook at 22 percent, according to Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Amazon.com also generates 58 percent of e-book sales, followed by Barnes & Noble’s 27 percent, Apple Inc. at 9 percent and Borders with 7 percent.
Pity it doesn't link to the actual Goldman Sachs report. Interesting that B&N seems to be doing better at ebook sales relative to the number of actual devices sold compared to Amazon/Kindle.

#2  rhadin 02-24-2011, 07:53 AM
I'd like to know how Goldman Sachs knows this when Amazon doesn't release specific numbers. No one knows how many Kindles have been sold and/or returned, for example.

#3  soondai 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM
wouldn't surprise me if Goldman Sachs had access to enough credit card info to make some good estimates

#4  Andrew H. 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote jehane
Bloomberg article

Pity it doesn't link to the actual Goldman Sachs report. Interesting that B&N seems to be doing better at ebook sales relative to the number of actual devices sold compared to Amazon/Kindle.
I would imagine that this would be due to people reading Kindle books on non-Kindle devices - iPads, iPhones, etc.

#5  SleepyBob 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Quote Andrew H.
I would imagine that this would be due to people reading Kindle books on non-Kindle devices - iPads, iPhones, etc.
That would have the opposite impact, actually. If significant numbers of non-Kindle owners were buying Kindle Editions, then their share of ebook sales would be higher than Kindle's market share, not lower.

This seems to indicate that Nook owners are bigger readers than Kindle owners, on average. That probably even makes sense - a light reader is probably more likely to be gifted a Kindle or to get a Kindle because of its mindshare, which will both push down Amazon's books-per-Kindle ratio.

#6  Andrew H. 02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote SleepyBob
That would have the opposite impact, actually. If significant numbers of non-Kindle owners were buying Kindle Editions, then their share of ebook sales would be higher than Kindle's market share, not lower.
Oh, yeah, I got that backwards. :-)

#7  fjtorres 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
89% of hardware going to Kindle and Nook? Those numbers explain a lot.

1- Sounds about right.
2- Doesn't leave much for Sony and Kobo and "other"
3- With US sales running 72% of the world market (estimated at 11 million for 2010 by IDC) that works out to 5.4 million Kindles in the US and 2.6 million kindles outside the US. Which means Amazon foreign sales outsold the field outside the US by almost 2 to 1.
4- Nook had a very good first full year: about 1.7 million or equal to the entire non-Kindle, Non-nook field, worldwide.
5- Apple sold 9% of the ebooks. So much for the 20% brag. Explains the need to get competing reader apps out of iOS.

#8  CleverClothe 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Quote fjtorres
3- With US sales running 72% of the world market (estimated at 11 million for 2010 by IDC) that works out to 5.4 million Kindles in the US and 2.6 million kindles outside the US. Which means Amazon foreign sales outsold the field outside the US by almost 2 to 1.
Where did you get that number? The report was about the U.S. market only.

#9  Lemurion 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
It really makes me wonder what's going to happen as the Nook Color gets more popular; the ability to read Kindle books (after rooting) was one factor that pushed me towards getting one.

#10  fjtorres 02-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Quote CleverClothe
Where did you get that number? The report was about the U.S. market only.
1- IDC worldwide sales estimate:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/01/media-tablet-and-ereader-sales-continue-to-grow-at-a-torrid-pace/

2- Kindle's reported 2010 worldwide sales of 8 million

3- A bit of math. Not hard.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register