Mobileread
Troubleshooting Can I safely charge my Kindle 3 or Kindle DXG with my smartphone wall adapter?
#11  whitearrow 01-10-2011, 08:14 PM
I use my HTC EVO adapter and my Kindle adapter interchangeably. Before I did so, I checked and found that iGo has the same tip listed for both, which gave me some confidence that smoke would not ensue, and it didn't. (A97 is the Kindle 2/3 tip. See what's listed for your phone.)

#12  SolRaven 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Quote DixieGal
Don't try this with a Sony. The one time I did it, the battery drained and got very hot.
I think they're really talking about the micro usb that cell phones have. The new Sony's use the same micro usb that cell phones and Kindles have. The upside is I can use the same port for books and charging.

#13  Kindle Worm 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Wow, this was my top question, and part of the reason I registered! THanks for all the info!

#14  Sydney's Mom 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I like that the K3 has a standard micro USB. I thought I would only have to bring one cord for my blackberry, personal phone and K3. But nooooo, my motorola phone says I am using an unauthorized charger, and refuses to charge. Verizon told me I could buy a special USB cord, but that kinda defeats the purpose, don't it?

#15  screwballl 01-11-2011, 06:54 PM
The problem is the pins that connect to the devices themselves are typically custom for that device, even if the port itself is different.

I have a Garmin GPS and wifes Motorola phone that have the exact same plug on the device side, yet one does not work on the other... BUT I did find out the Garmin cord/plug is universal where the cell phone is not.

Mine looks like this on the Garmin and cell phone:

image »

The USB specs only state that the square end like what plugs into a computer must conform to standards, at the other end companies can use whatever connector they want, even if it is the same as other devices.

I need to find a 120V to 5V USB with 5 USB Ports on it for charging...
Devices with a USB charge cord:
Nintendo DS
Samsung Cell phone
Motorola Cell phone
Garmin GPS
Kindle

I may pick one of these up just for charging.

I have a few others but they are rarely used like my handheld GPS for geocaching...

#16  Tiersten 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote screwballl
The problem is the pins that connect to the devices themselves are typically custom for that device, even if the port itself is different.
No. Both ends are standardised. What you're experiecing is the different signaling methods to tell the device what the capabilities of the charger are.

The way it is generally done is to connect specific value resistors between the data pins and 5V & ground. The issue is that until recently, there wasn't actually any standard to say how that should be done and everybody generally did their own thing. Some very basic chargers wouldn't have anything at all connected to the data lines in the USB port. Others would have the resistors but they'd be different values or wired differently.

Some devices wouldn't care at all and would charge off anything. Some devices will default to the normal or slowest charging speed if it can't recognise the charger. Whilst other devices like Apple hardware would check and just refuse to charge off anything that doesn't conform to its standard.

What they're actually checking for using this signalling method is how much current the charger can supply. iPhones will charge slower off a PC because they're limited to 500mA but if you used the mains charger then it would know that it can draw 1000mA instead.

Quote screwballl
The USB specs only state that the square end like what plugs into a computer must conform to standards, at the other end companies can use whatever connector they want, even if it is the same as other devices.
Both ends are standard. What the Kindle uses is Micro-USB. Your PC will use regular USB. Most cameras I've seen use Mini-USB. Each of these types also have a subtype of type A and type B.

Regular USB has 4 pins but in theory should use type A and type B plugs to prevent you from connecting two USB host devices together directly e.g. PC to PC since thats not allowed without something in between. Micro-USB and Mini-USB have 5 pins and the 5th extra pin is wired to ground on one end of the cable to signify which end is what for USB OTG usage.

Recently however, they standardised on the Micro-USB standard for computer connection and for charging. Quite a few of the major consumer electronics companies have joined up for this.

#17  FF2 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I understand the European Union may be behind a more universal standard and it is the micro which the Kindle3 uses. My Blackberry can share it and I have swapped ac chargers.

My new nikon has yet another proprietary plug on the camera side of things - irritating as hell. My garmin and tomtom gps' both use the mini.

#18  carls_mc 01-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Has anyone tried this with an iPhone power adaptor and just swapping the iPhone/Kindle cables out?

#19  gdornick 01-22-2011, 04:23 AM
Quote carls_mc
Has anyone tried this with an iPhone power adaptor and just swapping the iPhone/Kindle cables out?
Yes, I have. I always charge my Kindle with the iPhone power adaptor, using the Kindle cable.
Works brilliant!

#20  carls_mc 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Awesome, thanks for that gdornick. One less power adaptor to carry round :-)

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register