Mobileread
Cool Reader on Android
#261  Dave_S 04-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote Lourie
I am certain I downloaded Coolreader and it said it would also open mobi files.
According to it's description on Market CoolReader supports non-DRM EPUB, MOBI, PRC, PDB, FB2, TXT, RTF, HTML, CHM, and PML. So it seems that you are correct that CoolReader should be able to read non-DRM MOBI.
Quote Lourie
Now I cannot find one ebook
Where are you looking for your ebooks? When you press the MENU button while CoolReader is running, one of the menu items is OPEN FILE. When you press OPEN FILE, CoolReader lets you explore your entire filesystem for books. I simplify things for myself by putting all my books in a folder called Books on the SD card.
Quote Lourie
I do not know how to open it.
Once you find where you put your book just tap the book's name in the CoolReader file manager and CoolReader will open the book.

#262  fjtorres 04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Quote Lourie
I am certain I downloaded Coolreader and it said it would also open mobi files. Now I cannot find one ebook and I do not know how to open it. Please help me with advice. I don't like the Kindle interface, but at least I can read the books!
Try changing the extension to prc.

#263  Lourie 04-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Thanks, it worked!

#264  emt 04-09-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm running CM7 from the SD Card and Cool reader only scans the SD Card. I have lots of books in the Nook emmc (internal) - how can I get Cool reader to scan internal memory?

#265  voy78 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Great reader! I especially like the bookmark functionality. Exporting it to a file in conjunction with a SugarSync allows me to keep track of where I finished reading between different devices (Nook/cm7, Dinc, and work computer).
To find the page though I have to open the exported bookmark first, select the text, copy the text, open the book, search for the text - quite a few steps.
I was wondering if it would be possible to set it up so that by default the bookmarks are directly written to, and read from the text file residing in the folder that the book does. Right now it seems like the bookmark list is kept somewhere else, and you only get the option to export to a accessible file, but not to import from it. Having it behave the way I described would make export / import / search for text steps unnecessary.
Keeping the book / bookmark file in a synced folder would keep the book synced between all the devices - feature missing from all the other readers. And I don't think it would require too many changes, since all the functionality is basically already there.

What do you think?

#266  goldberry 05-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Can someone who has added some other fonts give me a heads up on how this is done?

Also can someone suggest some good alternative fonts to the default used in Coolreader?

#267  Dave_S 05-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Quote goldberry
Can someone who has added some other fonts give me a heads up on how this is done?
It is just about as easy as it sounds in the CoolReader User's Guide.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/crengine/index.php?title=CR3_android_user_guide

You just make a fonts folder in the root of your SD card, and put the ttf font files that you want to use in that folder. I usually have four files for each font I want. A normal , an italic, a bold normal, and a bold italic. I do not know if it still matters, but it used to be necessary to have the font file names all in lower case letters.

Quote goldberry
Also can someone suggest some good alternative fonts to the default used in Coolreader?
I think that there probably is a lot of variation in tastes as far as font faces go, but some examples that are sitting in my fonts folder are; dejavusans.ttf, droidsans.ttf, fontin.ttf, ibookn.ttf, liberationsans.ttf, and verdana.ttf

#268  goldberry 05-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote Dave_S
It is just about as easy as it sounds in the CoolReader User's Guide.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/crengine/index.php?title=CR3_android_user_guide

You just make a fonts folder in the root of your SD card, and put the ttf font files that you want to use in that folder. I usually have four files for each font I want. A normal , an italic, a bold normal, and a bold italic. I do not know if it still matters, but it used to be necessary to have the font file names all in lower case letters.

I think that there probably is a lot of variation in tastes as far as font faces go, but some examples that are sitting in my fonts folder are; dejavusans.ttf, droidsans.ttf, fontin.ttf, ibookn.ttf, liberationsans.ttf, and verdana.ttf
Thanks for that info.

#269  CharlieBird 05-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Goldberry, there's a poll and discussion on fonts, serif vs. sans-serif, going on right now over in the Discussions Forums that you might find interesting/helpful.
d

#270  goldberry 05-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Quote CharlieBird
Goldberry, there's a poll and discussion on fonts, serif vs. sans-serif, going on right now over in the Discussions Forums that you might find interesting/helpful.
d

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (27/90)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register