Mobileread
Cannot install calibre in windows 7
#1  chirotor 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM
When I try to install I get a message saying the administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. I am the administrator but I don't know how to set policies or change them. No other installation has produced this message. Ideas?

#2  cybmole 12-16-2010, 02:40 AM
if you downloaded the install .exe you may have to right click then unblock it before it will run. happens to me whenever I downoad stuff with chrome, less so when I download with IE8.

windows 7 assumes internet downloads of .exe files , which are not from microsoft, are unsafe - unless you overrule it via file properties.

#3  DoctorOhh 12-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Quote cybmole
windows 7 assumes internet downloads of .exe files , which are not from microsoft, are unsafe - unless you overrule it via file properties.
I'm curious and have zero knowledge of Windows 7, is this the same for msi files? Calibre hasn't been in a exe file for quite a while.

#4  GreenMonkey 12-16-2010, 03:47 AM
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/71d2a00c-0e87-4fe1-abae-4b44b4dbeef4

Googled: win7 administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

#5  cybmole 12-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Quote dwanthny
I'm curious and have zero knowledge of Windows 7, is this the same for msi files? Calibre hasn't been in a exe file for quite a while.
yes I think so - I am pretty sure I have to unblock the calibre installer every time, after downloading it with chrome.

sometimes win 7 will treat. zip & .rar files like this also, maybe dependent on what they contain, and on what browser did the downloading. it seems to be more accepting when IE is the download browser.

I would NOT disable the feature as per previous post - it is a useful layer of defence if , like me, you have UAC turned off, as it prevents any drive-by internet malware from silently installing / executing.

just right click the .msi , tick unblock within attributes section , click on apply & you are good to go

#6  chirotor 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks so much but that didn't work. I unblocked it and it is still won't install. I downloaded it with IE with the same result. Any other ideas?

#7  Timoleon 12-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Temporarily disable your antivirus software and then try to install it? This is what I had to do to an initial install on Windows 7 to get it to take.

#8  paulfiera 12-17-2010, 01:59 AM
Quote chirotor
Thanks so much but that didn't work. I unblocked it and it is still won't install. I downloaded it with IE with the same result. Any other ideas?
Try to install it outside "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", make a folder in C: - or in any other drive - calibre.

#9  cybmole 12-17-2010, 03:02 AM
post the exact error message if none of the above works.

should now have a different install error -if the original error message was a consequence of installer being blocked.

NB you should not have to install it outside of program files (x86) - that is where programs are supposed to be installed to .
my install is there, in a folder called calibre2 ( dunno why "2" is appended )

also try right click - run as administrator.

I had zero problems installing on 64 bit windows 7 but I have UAC off. do you have UAC enabled ( default setting = enabled) ?

#10  Manichean 12-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Quote cybmole
my install is there, in a folder called calibre2 ( dunno why "2" is appended )
Historical reasons. Sometime way back, there were some issues with Calibre's install directory on Win. I don't remember what it was exactly.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register