Mobileread
Kindle 3.0.3 jailbreak.
#11  Pushka 10-20-2010, 02:35 AM
Quote maven26
where to download Kindle 3.0.3 jailbreak? Can you give me url ? ths.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

#12  manonoc 10-20-2010, 03:26 AM
Hello everyone and thank you for your great job,

I've got a kindle dx, with a software version 2.5.5 (serial number beginning with B009)
i've tried to jailbreak with an error 003 (with update_jailbreak_dxi_install.bin)

you mentionned about the jailbreak:
v0.4.N:
Works on firmware <= 3.0.3 .

you say that the install FAIL if soft is 2.x, so no pb.

but i've installed too, the usb network, that FAIL too, with the same error.

so i don't understand, because i thought that 2.5.5 was the latest version of amazon soft.

where am i wrong ?

thanks

#13  manonoc 10-20-2010, 05:06 AM
Quote manonoc
Hello everyone and thank you for your great job,
so i don't understand, because i thought that 2.5.5 was the latest version of amazon soft.
thanks
excuse me, this page opened my eyes:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...nd_3.x_Kindles

i've used
update_jailbreak_dxi_install.bin
(thought i = internationnal)
but i've got a graphite dx, so i will use
update_jailbreak_dxg_install.bin
soon

thanks

#14  manonoc 10-21-2010, 03:57 AM
that's working very well !

i've too configured before g:/kindle/usbnetwork/info with the good IP

under vista, the driver "RNDIS / Ethernet Gadget" is not found

but under ubuntu, you've just to configure /etc/network/interfaces
with (my lan is 71, it is usually 1) :

allow-hotplug usb0
mapping udev
script grep
map usb0
iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.71.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.71.0
broadcast 192.168.71.255

and after:

ifdown usb0 (usefull sometimes)
ifup usb0
ssh 192.168.71.10

hope that helps !

#15  az060693 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM
How exactly would I update Kindle firmware for a jailbroken kindle? I'm gonna guess that I can't just simply use stock updates. This is the only thing stopping me from jailbreaking my Kindle 3.

#16  FF2 01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
You might wait for more but from what I understand, the jailbreak does not interfere with the update nor does the update eliminate the jailbreak.

#17  bhartman36 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I jailbroke my Kindle 3 wifi. I'm on the 3.0.2 firmware right now, but it doesn't seem to be giving me the option to update to the 3.0.3 firmware. Do I have to remove the jailbreak first? Sorry if this has been answered already in this thread and I just didn't recognize it. I'm kind of a newbie to the jailbreaking thing.

Edited to add: Sorry. I just realized the 3.0.3 update was just for download. No problems here.

#18  Tiersten 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Quote FF2
You might wait for more but from what I understand, the jailbreak does not interfere with the update nor does the update eliminate the jailbreak.
The jailbreak is that it adds a new signing certificate to the Kindle which is then used to allow the other modifications to be applied. The Kindle firmware so far does not affect this extra certificate and because it is a new file which doesn't alter a preexisting file then it currently safe and possible to use the regular update without affecting the jailbreak.

The issue is that the other modifications generally do alter preexisting Kindle files and the update will fail to apply because of this as those files are checked. You must uninstall any modifications before applying a Kindle update.

#19  daffy4u 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Quote az060693
How exactly would I update Kindle firmware for a jailbroken kindle? I'm gonna guess that I can't just simply use stock updates. This is the only thing stopping me from jailbreaking my Kindle 3.
Jailbreaking allows Amazon to update the Kindle firmware "without" having to remove the jailbreak or hacks.

#20  ApK 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Is there any downside or risk to jailbreaking?
I mean aside from the "at your own risk" admonishments that accompany all things of this nature?
Does it break any existing feature? Does it impact performance or usability in anyway?

I like the IDEA of jaikbreaking, but I don't really need any of the hacks that jailbreaking allows at the moment. If jailbreaking has any downside, I'll just wait until I just MUST have that screensaver hack, or new font or whatever
But if not, heck, I'd rather just do it now and be ready for whenever I need it!

Thanks,

ApK

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register