Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for November • If Books Could Kill, Thrilling Stories
#41  gmw 10-05-2020, 09:27 PM
I second The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley.

#42  Uncle Robin 10-05-2020, 09:51 PM
Quote Catlady
I nominate Dragonwyck by Anya Seton (1944, 419 pp.).

Available in all relevant countries; available as e-book and audiobook; can be borrowed through Overdrive, Freading, Hoopla, and Scribd.

Amazon U.S., $2.99

Curious about the definition of "relevant countries", I checked the 2 Kobo stores I can access and found that the median price available to me is ~$10US. Making it not relevant to me

#43  gmw 10-06-2020, 01:30 AM
Quote Uncle Robin
Curious about the definition of "relevant countries", I checked the 2 Kobo stores I can access and found that the median price available to me is ~$10US. Making it not relevant to me
I assume "relevant countries" was probably based on the most regular participants, so US, CA, UK, AU (at one stage it included NZ too). We don't have hard price limits in the nominations, but obviously this will play a role with whether a nomination gets seconded and receives votes. Given the price that Catlady posted, my guess is that it was on special at that time but that is no longer the case; the outlets change prices pretty quickly sometimes and are not always clear about whether listed prices are specials. As such, it's generally good manners to refrain from criticism, it could be you that gets caught out next time.

#44  Uncle Robin 10-06-2020, 01:59 AM
Quote gmw
As such, it's generally good manners to refrain from criticism, it could be you that gets caught out next time.
I made no criticism, except perhaps implicitly of Kobo's pricing structure, charging so much for a book that is so much cheaper elsewhere.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register