Mobileread
Sony's new e-book reader officially announced [Update]
#1  Brian 01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Here's the first glimpse of Sony's soon-to-be released e-book reader, courtesy of Rick Wilking from Reuters. The device's name: Reader. Expect more details soon as CES gets underway.

Update: Sony has officially announced the Reader in this press release and there is an official product website here.

Specifications and features:
According to this article at PCWorld.com, the Reader will be available in April priced between $299 and $399 at $349.99.

More images after the jump.

[via Engadget]

Related: Sony to launch "iPod for e-books" at CES
Sony Reader.jpg easyreading1.jpg perfectlyportable2.jpg holdsvolumes3.jpg thousandsoftitles4.jpg morethanbooks5.jpg 

#2  TadW 01-05-2006, 05:32 AM
So the Sony Reader is the (US-) revamped version of the Sony Librie. Another user here online said that the SR will have a faster screen. But other than that, and the addition of SD card and PDF support (latter is just a software feature). All these years of waiting - and all Sony did was to bring this small Librie upgrade and to find US publishers who would sign up for Sony's ridiculous e-book format?

#3  Brian 01-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Gizmodo has more here:

To give you an idea of just how good this display looks… I walked up to the counter, looked at the text on the screen and asked, “So when will you have working units to play with?” The reply: “This is a working reader.” I mistakenly though the text on the screen was some kind of plastic overlay—that’s how ink-like it looked. Then the PR rep increased the text size, searched through the table of contents and showed me some Manga comics. It is the first e-reader that seemed like I could sit down and spend hours on without experiencing eye strain.
Says a lot about E Ink, but like others, I'm not sure if the Reader will trump the iRex.
sonyreader.jpg sonyreader2.jpg 

#4  rmeister0 01-05-2006, 11:09 AM
"These formats require file conversion to BBeB using supplied software."

That sentence says a lot. Is anyone else tired of having to do file conversions? I know I am.

And, of course, another attempt to get people to use memory sticks.

#5  Alexander Turcic 01-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Quote rmeister0
"These formats require file conversion to BBeB using supplied software." That sentence says a lot. Is anyone else tired of having to do file conversions? I know I am.
Wow I missed that. And of course, like with most file convesions, some (meta) data gets lost. Not pretty.

#6  Alexander Turcic 01-05-2006, 11:43 AM
The Register covers it, too.

#7  rsperberg 01-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Quote TadW
All these years of waiting -- and all Sony did was to bring this small Librie upgrade and to find US publishers who would sign up for Sony's ridiculous e-book format?
Well, they did cut the price significantly.

#8  doctorow 01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Quote rsperberg
Well, they did cut the price significantly.
Are you sure?

When the Sony Librie came out (April 2004), it was available at a SRP of 47900 Yen. With a currency rate of 1 Yen = USD 0.009365 at that time, the Sony Librie did come out at ~ USD $450.00. The pricing for the Sony Reader is quoted at USD $300-400. The price drop isn't that significant to me.

#9  Brian 01-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Here's the official product page at SonyStyle.com store. Price: $349.99

#10  WarStrider 01-07-2006, 12:25 PM
The battery life measure as 7500 page turns is somewhat odd, assuming it uses some kind of back light. I get suspicious when they obfuscate relevant stats.

The charge time seems long too, 4 hours AC, 6 USB. My eBookwise reader will charge up in about 1 hour.

The unit is a bit largish and the page turn buttons are tiny, the text looks nice, though.

Still its nice to see additional choices being marketed.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register