Mobileread
Best 10" and up readers?
#11  JSWolf 06-17-2020, 05:48 AM
Quote Hitch
Thanks, Jon. Are you pro or con?

Hitch
If I was looking to buy a 10" (or so) Reader, I'd go with the Onyx Boox Note Pro 2.

Here is a really in-depth video review.
YouTube clip »

Here is the update review.
YouTube clip »

An in depth review of the Pocketbook Inkpad X.
YouTube clip »

#12  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 06:19 AM
Quote rowe
Not something I've needed, but the Nova 2 has OTG too
And that only works with FAT32, meaninglessly, or as internally formatted (other) even stupid.

#13  Hitch 06-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Quote ottischwenk
With NeoReader you will hardly be able to scan barcodes.
Thanks. I did try a quick online search, but everything I found was for the barcode reader. I appreciate the link.

Quote ottischwenk
These reports are long outdated and therefore invalid.
Both companies have new devices:
10.3 inches: Likebook Alita, Boox Note 2
7.8 inches: Likebook Ares, Boox Nova 2
And the essential difference is not discussed:
Likebook is far superior in storage (USB OTG).
Boox something in the Notes area.
Storage is more important to me at 10.3 and that's why I have Likebook Alita with 512 GB SD capacity (not possible with Boox)
At 7.8 inches I need both, so I have Likebook Ares with 512 GB SD and Boox Nova 2
I gotta ask--why do you need two 7.8" readers? Or is it note-taking capability on one and not the other? I mean, hell, they're your devices, but I'm really curious. I have two of the (well, 3, but one died) of the Paperwhite family, which is a similar scenario, having multiple devices of the same size--they're all very alike in every way--but that's because I'm in the business and have them for testing, not because I wanted to have two effectively near-identical devices.

Quote rowe
Not something I've needed, but the Nova 2 has OTG too
Hmmmm...whoo-whoo? I honestly don't know how I'd use it, but at one point in time, I actually said that about a mouse too, so...ya never know. :-) TY!

Quote JSWolf
If I was looking to buy a 10" (or so) Reader, I'd go with the Onyx Boox Note Pro 2.
TY, Jon. I'm leaning that way, but it's not a cheap toy and I want to be sure that I really need, and will use it. (I find the Kindle 10" that I have absolutely awkward and unusable, hence my hesitation.) My last Oasis from Amazon--the one with the enlarged holding panel--I'm not loving it either and I certainly don't want to make that mistake with a $500+ item.

Quote ottischwenk
And that only works with FAT32, meaninglessly, or as internally formatted (other) even stupid.
Hmph. Thanks for that.

Thanks, gang.

Hitch

#14  JSWolf 06-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Quote Hitch
TY, Jon. I'm leaning that way, but it's not a cheap toy and I want to be sure that I really need, and will use it. (I find the Kindle 10" that I have absolutely awkward and unusable, hence my hesitation.) My last Oasis from Amazon--the one with the enlarged holding panel--I'm not loving it either and I certainly don't want to make that mistake with a $500+ item.
You are very welcome. I hope the videos help.

Oh and the Likebook Alita only has Android 6.0.

#15  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 10:28 AM
Quote JSWolf
You are very welcome. I hope the videos help.
They have long been outdated and the consequence of this is not correct
Oh and the Likebook Alita only has Android 6.0.
It doesn't matter at all. The only software that I have found that is not running is Sygic - and I do not think that navigation software is useful for such a product.
Android 8 is also promised for July, but I really have to think about whether such an update makes sense - after all, I will definitely not handle any banking matters about it

#16  JSWolf 06-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Quote ottischwenk
They have long been outdated and the consequence of this is not correctIt doesn't matter at all. The only software that I have found that is not running is Sygic - and I do not think that navigation software is useful for such a product.
Android 8 is also promised for July, but I really have to think about whether such an update makes sense - after all, I will definitely not handle any banking matters about it
How are all the videos obsolete?

#17  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 11:14 AM
Quote Hitch
I gotta ask--why do you need two 7.8" readers? Or is it note-taking capability on one and not the other? I mean, hell, they're your devices, but I'm really curious. I have two of the (well, 3, but one died) of the Paperwhite family, which is a similar scenario, having multiple devices of the same size--they're all very alike in every way--but that's because I'm in the business and have them for testing, not because I wanted to have two effectively near-identical devices.
All 3 are Notes devices.
The first thing I bought was the 10.3 inch Likebok Alita because I wanted handwritten comments in my piano sheet music - 10.3 inches because the 13.3 inch devices are only unlit.
However, it was too big for me to read normally and so I got the 7.8 inch Likebook Ares.
Then I found it nice to write my comments in books, but with the Ares I could only do it in pdf files - but I also wanted it in other formats and so I came to the Boox Nova 2.
My most used device is the Ares, because with almost the same equipment (2/512 GB) as the Alita (4/512 GB) it is smaller and lighter - really portable - but I hardly use it as an ebook reader, but mostly as an outside device Computer with bluetooth keyboard.
The Boox devices (Nova2 - 3/32 GB, Note2 - 4/64 GB, Max3 4/64 GB) are too weak for me in terms of storage capacity (my Kiwix with Wikipedia needs about 50 GB), but my Nova2 is my most reader used

#18  Hitch 06-17-2020, 11:23 AM
Quote ottischwenk
All 3 are Notes devices.
The first thing I bought was the 10.3 inch Likebok Alita because I wanted handwritten comments in my piano sheet music - 10.3 inches because the 13.3 inch devices are only unlit.
However, it was too big for me to read normally and so I got the 7.8 inch Likebook Ares.
Then I found it nice to write my comments in books, but with the Ares I could only do it in pdf files - but I also wanted it in other formats and so I came to the Boox Nova 2.
My most used device is the Ares, because with almost the same equipment (2/512 GB) as the Alita (4/512 GB) it is smaller and lighter - really portable - but I hardly use it as an ebook reader, but mostly as an outside device Computer with bluetooth keyboard.
The Boox devices (Nova2 - 3/32 GB, Note2 - 4/64 GB, Max3 4/64 GB) are too weak for me in terms of storage capacity (my Kiwix with Wikipedia needs about 50 GB), but my Nova2 is my most reader used
AH-ha, I see. Okay, your needs are quite different than mine, in that case. I was (am) primarily looking for something that would allow me to make detailed notes on files of different types, for research. I'm very unsure about the 10", though. I mean..I get it and I'd love more screen, but I've found the Fire 10" to be utterly unmanageble, realistically, for me. It's just the wrong size and shape for my hands (which aren't tiny, but...). Obviously, not all devices are sized and shaped for all people, and for whatever odd reason, the Fire 10" doesn't suit me. I bought it for testing, so it's not a wasted purchase, but I'm a bit annoyed that I have no use for it whatsoever, beyond that.

Ditto the new Oasis with the side panel for holding. It's bloody awkward, to me. The heel of the right corner digs into my palm. I was forced to replace my much-loved Voyage when it could no longer charge, and I stupidly bought this and I do NOT like it at all. After 20-ish minutes of reading, I have to stop or shift the device, as it digs into my bony palm.

(sigh). I wish I had one remotely local to me (NOTHING is remotely local to me) so that I could play with it, but I might just bite the bullet and buy and try, see what happens. Returning is also a major undertaking around here (60+ mile RT to the PO and back to ship stuff--it's the downside of living in a rural area), but I don't see a great alternative to find out if I'm going to like it or not.

Thanks, guys.

Hitch

#19  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Quote JSWolf
How are all the videos obsolete?
New devices, changed features, ...

#20  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Quote Hitch
I was (am) primarily looking for something that would allow me to make detailed notes on files of different types, for research.
Which kind of files?
If they are ebook files, I can recommend the Boox Nova2. You can write directly into it.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register