Mobileread
Multi-cast audiobooks
#1  JSWolf 05-09-2020, 03:17 PM
I've been listening to The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife. They are books 1 & 2 of the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. They are multi-cast with Pullman as the narrator. They are very good. Another one I really enjoyed was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Does anyone know of other really good multi-cast audiobooks?

#2  pwalker8 05-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Some of Tamora Pierce's books also used the multi-cast approach.

#3  stumped 05-10-2020, 07:41 AM
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/17864553-multi-voice-audio-books

#4  JSWolf 05-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Quote pwalker8
Some of Tamora Pierce's books also used the multi-cast approach.
How are they?

#5  pwalker8 05-11-2020, 07:20 AM
Quote JSWolf
How are they?
They are ok. I liked them well enough. It's all a matter of expectations. Like most multi-cast audiobooks I've heard, most of the voice actors are amateurs. None were bad, but yea, it does make me respect the top voice actors. I've seen a few multi-cast audiobooks with multicast professionals, but most of those tend to be PD books. Let's face it, there is a reason that they used a 15 year old Tim Mathenson as the voice actor for Johnny Quest. It's a lot easier for a teenager to make his voice sound younger than in is to find a 11 year old who is a good voice actor. When you are doing a multi-cast audiobook with children, you lower your expectations a bit.

#6  SeaBookGuy 05-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Years ago, I listened to Jane Austen's epistolary novel Lady Susan with a different reader for each of the several characters (letter writers).

#7  davtay 05-16-2020, 03:47 AM
World War Z was perfect as a multicast audiobook. Almost like it was written as such.
Probably my favorite audiobook ever.

#8  pwalker8 05-16-2020, 07:03 AM
Quote davtay
World War Z was perfect as a multicast audiobook. Almost like it was written as such.
Probably my favorite audiobook ever.
Yea, that was an excellent one, but then again, being Mel Brooks' son has a bit of an advantage when it come to getting some major Hollywood talent. I have heard that Mel Brooks called in some favors for that, but it's very good and the list of voice actors is like of who's who of Hollywood talent from the 70's and 80's.

#9  JSWolf 05-16-2020, 04:26 PM
The upcoming The Sandman by Neil Gaiman has a very impressive cast.

show attachment »

#10  stumped 05-17-2020, 12:20 AM
Quote JSWolf
The upcoming The Sandman by Neil Gaiman has a very impressive cast.

show attachment »
what's less impressive is that is going to be an overpriced audible exclusive - until it gets cracked

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register