Mobileread
Kindle the best???
#11  JSWolf 03-30-2020, 09:56 AM
Quote theducks
I have an ancient (by today's standards)Kindle 4nt
I have a Kobo Aura2 v1

Both have solid hardware. Both have WiFi (only)
I use Calibre to USB side load, so I could care less about the Device Store UI.
I shop from my PC, take care of that pesky DRM, and load on whichever device strikes my fancy (The Kobo stays home always).

I sorta like the latest Kobo firmware book manager, but either gets the job done.

Note: I use my TAB A for PDF or color when needed, so I do not need or want a LCD reader for just my normal reading.
One major advantage Kobo has over Kindles older then the PW2 is that Kobo is supporting older Kindles with the current firmware. Kindles firmware on older devices is pretty meh! at best.

So when you look at what you can do with a Kindle 4nt and a Kobo Aura 2, there's no question that that Kobo will blow the Kindle away. The only non-touch Kobo that was made was the first model. Every other has a touch screen. That means that the newer firmware on these older devices is still usable since they have a touch screen.

Amazon's firmware is created to be very simple and in this simplicity, they take away many useful features. Kobo firmware is for users who want to have choices and be able to manage their eBooks.

#12  issybird 03-30-2020, 10:19 AM
Quote JSWolf
What about going to Walmart to buy a Kobo in the US?
They don't have them in stock.

I think this thread's been sidetracked (and I contributed my own detour). it's whether or not there's a bias favoring Kindles in reviews. I think there is. I hope the OP won't mind if I restate my interpretation of the question: Are reviews biased, and if so, why?

I think it's a good question, whereas the relative advantages of the devices and personal preferences thereto have been discussed in umpteen threads.

#13  Sirtel 03-30-2020, 10:42 AM
Quote issybird
I hope the OP won't mind if I restate my interpretation of the question: Are reviews biased, and if so, why?
Probably yes. Why, might depend on the reviewer. Kindles are simply much better known. The higher price tags seem to mean higher quality to more than one reviewer. The early Kobo readers were plagued by more bugs and stability issues than Kindles (no longer true, but people are slow to change their opinions). And so on.

#14  ps67 03-30-2020, 11:00 AM
I expressed my opinion in comparing Kindle and Kobo in this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...le#post3926698

The only thing I forgot is that PW3 is a little faster than KA1. KA1 is not really slow but I can see the small difference between them. But the comparison should be made between devices now on sale.

And about the eventual bias in favor of Kindle: may be, many reviewer did not really use the device for some days before writing, they simply says: it is not compatible with Amazon's store so it is a negative point an so on. But serious people that do accurately their job will report strength and weakness of both.

#15  hobnail 03-30-2020, 02:13 PM
Quote HDestruct
What is the reason why almost all reviewers find Kindle better than Kobo? I'm perplexed.
For me I'd guess that they have very simple needs from an ereader. And they probably don't use calibre to manage their books. When you pair calibre and a kobo it's a very nice system. For me the most important advantages of the kobo are being able to list the authors with how many books by them you have, collections, and now series. With calibre I have collections set up by source, with library being one, so that I can see what library books I need to get started on.

By comparison the kindle seems like its UI has barely changed since my old kindle touch.

#16  pwalker8 03-30-2020, 03:27 PM
I guess different people just have different needs. I've got both a Kobo and a kindle. I find the reading experience better on the Kobo. I buy from Amazon because I think the store is better and has more content. Of course, I actually do most of my reading on an iPad pro, so perhaps I'm not the best to ask on either. I have very specific use cases for both the Kobo and the Kindle.

#17  ps67 03-30-2020, 03:50 PM
Quote pwalker8
I guess different people just have different needs. I've got both a Kobo and a kindle. I find the reading experience better on the Kobo. I buy from Amazon because I think the store is better and has more content. Of course, I actually do most of my reading on an iPad pro, so perhaps I'm not the best to ask on either. I have very specific use cases for both the Kobo and the Kindle.
Well, I think that the store situation is different for each country; here there are very small differences between the various store: all most important publishers sell on all platform so Amazon, Kobo and independent sellers like IBS or BookRepublic sell the same books at the same price (publisher establish price).

Only special offer may vary from one to another. And there are authors that publish directly on Kindle, but now also Kobo has them. So a vast majority of books are in all stores at the same price. But may be I am going

#18  Uncle Robin 03-30-2020, 04:11 PM
As someone who switched from Kindles after 6 years to Kobo, I prefer my Kobo, but there's one area that Kindle completely smashes Kobo out of the park - dictionaries. I don't use them much, but I still don't get why Kobo doesn't even offer dictionaries for sale to replace/augment its rather feeble internal offering.

#19  JSWolf 03-30-2020, 04:28 PM
Quote issybird
They don't have them in stock.

I think this thread's been sidetracked (and I contributed my own detour). it's whether or not there's a bias favoring Kindles in reviews. I think there is. I hope the OP won't mind if I restate my interpretation of the question: Are reviews biased, and if so, why?

I think it's a good question, whereas the relative advantages of the devices and personal preferences thereto have been discussed in umpteen threads.
If you look at GoodEReader videos that review Kobo vs Kindle. The configure the Kobo to look awful so the Kindle looks better. They have a lot of bias towards Kindle. If they had the Kobo looking good, then the Kindle would not look as good.

What I don't get with Kindle is why so many people don't care that they read Mobi and lose features because they use the email feature. If it was me, I would want KF8 so I could choose a custom font and be able to set the weight.

#20  Sirtel 03-30-2020, 04:36 PM
Quote JSWolf

What I don't get with Kindle is why so many people don't care that they read Mobi and lose features because they use the email feature. If it was me, I would want KF8 so I could choose a custom font and be able to set the weight.
There are an awful lot of people (possibly even the majority of users) who just don't care about such things. Most of them use the default font/margin/line spacing settings and won't be bothered to change them. The MR users, as usual, are a minority.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/22)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register