Mobileread
PRS-T2 Does not open newer epubs from Gutenberg
#11  pdurrant 03-25-2020, 06:25 AM
Wasn't there some limit on individual file sizes inside the ePub on the Sony readers?

#12  stumped 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
sometimes a epub to peub conversion in calibre works wonders, and is faster tan a manual debug. try it and report back.
( if ADE crashes, there's more to it than jsut individual file size )

#13  stumped 03-25-2020, 06:53 AM
taking the first of your 2 links from #1. book opens ok in sigil, but it crashes ADE 2.0 when i try to move past the 1st page
using sigil code view, I see that in 2nd file of book, the body section is empty... maybe that is the issue
<body>
<div class="body">
</div>
</body>

trying my own suggestion of calibre to calibre convert...
the converted version works in ADE

but... looking at the converted file in calibre editor. there is still an empty body section
<body class="calibre">

<div class="front">
</div>
</body>
its like I said before, the conversion fixes stuff faster than a manual debug.
others may be curious enough to dig deeper though

actually , this is more likely- running a check in calibre editor ( after the conversion) if gives 154 errors, nearly all to do with unsafe characters, e.g.
The filename OEBPS/@public@vhost@g@gutenberg@html@files@61324@61324-h@61324-h-11.htm_split_001.html contains unsafe characters, that must be escaped, like this OEBPS/%40public%40vhost%40g%40gutenberg%40html%40files%4 061324%4061324-h%4061324-h-11.htm_split_001.html. This can cause problems with some e-book readers. To be absolutely safe, use only the English alphabet [a-z], the numbers [0-9], underscores and hyphens in your file names. While many other characters are allowed, they may cause problems with some software.

i have no idea if there is a mechanism to report a problem book to PG

#14  Ghitulescu 03-25-2020, 07:01 AM
Quote pdurrant
Wasn't there some limit on individual file sizes inside the ePub on the Sony readers?
Yes, but the Sonies ignore anything that comes after...
I mean, they work normally, just the text is truncated at the limit.

#15  stumped 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM
Quote Ghitulescu
Yes, but the Sonies ignore anything that comes after...
I mean, they work normally, just the text is truncated at the limit.
is not file size. it's the stuff in my previous post #13

#16  Ghitulescu 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM
Quote stumped
is not file size. it's the stuff in my previous post #13
What exactly?
I solved the "unsafe" characters, and still did not work.

#17  stumped 03-25-2020, 02:21 PM
how did u solve, exactly. did you find and fix all 154 warnings ?
& did you do a calibre epub to epub conversion like I recommended ?
once I did that, it no longer crashed in ADE 2. I don't have a sony to test with, sorry ,but I used to have one, and usually, stuff that worked OK in ADE would then work ok in the sony
I am not going to install ADE 4.

someone else suggested convert epub to mobi then back again - that's a more powerful cleanup method, maybe
try that also

#18  JSWolf 03-25-2020, 03:03 PM
Using the ePub in the first link in the first post gives 72 errors/warnings with the Calibre editor checker. Removing all excess CSS gets that number down to 48 and automatically fixing errors from there gets the number down to 1. So fix that and then try again. The things mentioned in post 13 seem to get fixed.

#19  stumped 03-25-2020, 03:10 PM
I had another look at the code, in sigil, but the only strange thing we're the very long file and image names, with lots of @ characters. Maybe all PG books are like that ?
Surprising that JSW got 72 warnings, I got 154 with what I think is same file, and that was After a forced conversion.

A forced auto fix is best way to go. In sigil I see a horrible mess of red underlines because it's in German and my spell check now for English, so eyeballing the code is unpleasant.
One other thing that , from memory, upsets a Sony is anything amis with the jpg image files.i.e. if they are not standardly compressed.
So, removing all the images then trying on device is another possible test

#20  JSWolf 03-25-2020, 03:47 PM
Quote stumped
I had another look at the code, in sigil, but the only strange thing we're the very long file and image names, with lots of @ characters. Maybe all PG books are like that ?
Surprising that JSW got 72 warnings, I got 154 with what I think is same file, and that was After a forced conversion.

A forced auto fix is best way to go. In sigil I see a horrible mess of red underlines because it's in German and my spell check now for English, so eyeballing the code is unpleasant.
One other thing that , from memory, upsets a Sony is anything amis with the jpg image files.i.e. if they are not standardly compressed.
So, removing all the images then trying on device is another possible test
I didn't convert. I used the ePub as it downloaded. So try what I did that and you'll get it down to one error or warning very easily.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register