Mobileread
Oasis newbie
#1  tdonline 10-15-2020, 07:40 PM
Prime Day Oasis owner, finally! Was going to be a 2019 BF Oasis owner but Amazon and I didn't see eye to eye on the trade in process and I ended up cancelling.

In any case, excited to get started. First off, I got a blank screen after registration and restarted. Looks like it's updating now...

Second, I always have cases for my readers but I like to read sans cases. It worked fine for the Paperwhite but oh my goodness, the sleek Oasis isn't going to work. What are your tips to a better and more comfortable grip sans case? Commercial and DIY solutions welcomed.

#2  texasnightowl 10-15-2020, 07:46 PM
Quote tdonline
In any case, excited to get started. First off, I got a blank screen after registration and restarted. Looks like it's updating now...
Congrats! just received mine today too.

Same thing happened to me and a few others on reddit. Blank screen right after declining Audible. After powering off/restarting, it is fine unless you open the "Setup Your Kindle" link on the home page. Then it will happen again. Still...everything seems to be fine so far otherwise.

Second, I always have cases for my readers but I like to read sans cases. It worked fine for the Paperwhite but oh my goodness, the sleek Oasis isn't going to work. What are your tips to a better and more comfortable grip sans case? Commercial and DIY solutions welcomed.
Sorry, no suggestions at the moment for a sans case grip! Though I have seen people say they use a popsocket. I bought an Ayotu case and plan to leave it in that even while reading at the moment. We'll see how things go!

edit: mine is charging right now and then I plan to hook it up to my pc and load some books on it from Calibre!

#3  tdonline 10-15-2020, 07:51 PM
Mine updated and looks to be working fine. I'm super excited too...I'm a little appalled how nerdy giddy I'm getting.

But yeah, holding it is driving me nuts. I usually hold off buying cases until I get a feel for the reader. Within seconds, I learned I need something that gives me a better grip for the back. Wish Amazon had used the same material as the PW, which is comfortable to grip.

#4  NullNix 10-15-2020, 07:52 PM
Quote tdonline
Prime Day Oasis owner, finally! Was going to be a 2019 BF Oasis owner but Amazon and I didn't see eye to eye on the trade in process and I ended up cancelling.

I had real trouble with the coldness and slipperiness of the awful aluminium back too. I ended up getting this Skinomi skin: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WGQPCW3

That has, if anything, more grip than the old rubberized backs used to, and has seen minimal degradation over the last nearly-a-year of intensive use.

#5  WDeranged 10-15-2020, 08:24 PM
I got an Ayotu case with mine. It's slightly rubberised and very grippy. Does the job and doesn't smash your wallet like the official case.

#6  Deskisamess 10-15-2020, 08:28 PM
When I first got my Oasis, I had to wait on the cover. I put "gaffer tape" on the back of the thicker side, and it worked very well. It gave it some grip and covered the cold metal.

After several snap in type covers, I have the cloth waterproof type now. I found it on eBay for just a few dollars. Amazon has them for $30-40 I think.

I also used, for a short time, a texured "skin" by a company called Skinomi. It was ok, but not great.

#7  NullNix 10-15-2020, 08:40 PM
Quote Deskisamess
When I first got my Oasis, I had to wait on the cover. I put "gaffer tape" on the back of the thicker side, and it worked very well. It gave it some grip and covered the cold metal.

After several snap in type covers, I have the cloth waterproof type now. I found it on eBay for just a few dollars. Amazon has them for $30-40 I think.

I also used, for a short time, a texured "skin" by a company called Skinomi. It was ok, but not great.
The main advantage of skins over covers to me (and obviously you can use both at once, and put a cover on a skinned Kindle) is that skins are much lighter: mine came in at 4g, i.e. totally imperceptible. (The main disadvantage is that you can't really take them off again, at least not reversibly, so pick one and, um, stick with it.

#8  tdonline 10-15-2020, 08:46 PM
Quote Deskisamess

Gaffer tape sounds like the way to go while I dither on buying a case. It's advertised as residue-free, did you find that the case for your Oasis?

#9  tdonline 10-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Disabling the touch screen may come in handy as I let my fingers spread over the screen a bit and get a more comfortable grip.

#10  Deskisamess 10-15-2020, 09:21 PM
Quote tdonline
Gaffer tape sounds like the way to go while I dither on buying a case. It's advertised as residue-free, did you find that the case for your Oasis?
I'm not sure I understand your question...the gaffer tape came off cleanly, as did the skin, if that is what you were asking.

I love the cloth case I'm using now. Enough that I'd pay $40 for another one if this one broke. I love the texture, and the inside of the front has a nice grippy feel for when I'm reading and holding the Oasis with the cover folded all the way to the back.

I had two other cases, one from Fintie that cracked within a couple of months, and a Ayotu cover that attached with 2-sided tape that was horrible and didn't stay attached.

In reserve is a cheap case from IVSO that works fine, but the surface of the front got odd looking from skin oils. I kept it as a backup.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register