Mobileread
Apple Event announced for Tuesday, October 13
#1  OtinG 10-06-2020, 02:47 PM
Probably an iPhone event.

According to MacRumors:

Apple today announced a second 2020 event, which is set to be held on Tuesday, October 13 at 10:00 a.m. on the Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California. As with Apple's September event focusing on the new iPad and Apple Watches, the October event will be digital only, with Apple likely providing pre-taped segments for each new product that will be announced.

Since the new *iPad* Air, eighth-generation *iPad*, and Apple Watch Series 6 have already been announced, the October event is expected to be Apple's iPhone-centric event with Apple introducing the new iPhone 12 lineup.

#2  OtinG 10-06-2020, 02:53 PM
I’m good as for as iPhone goes, so no need for a new one.

I do wish they would release a truly usable remote for my Apple TV 4K though. That garbage that came with it is a huge pile of excrement, and Apple doesn't allow all functions to be programmed into 3rd party remotes.

#3  azt33 10-06-2020, 03:29 PM
I kind of hope that they will release the first Apple Silicon computer as well - curious to see how that compares to the current line.

#4  binaryhermit 10-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Apparently benchmarks claiming to be from the dev kit had it running x86 code faster than an x86 Mac, which, if true, is impressive.

And it's likely an actual retail ARM Mac will have a chip with newer cores and less power/heat constraints than a chip designed to be put in an iPad (read that as "a faster SoC")

#5  kyteflyer 10-07-2020, 03:28 AM
I’m going to sell my new SE, I think. I’ve already gone back to using my iPhone7, and right now the iPhone Mini thats rumoured does appeal to me. I don’t want a phone thats the size of a dinner plate, and I really would kinda like a smaller phone than the iP7/8/SE .... and if it comes with the larger screen thats rumoured... all good. Its what I hoped the 2020 SE would be. But, until the 13th, its still all rumours.

#6  OtinG 10-07-2020, 12:23 PM
I love my iPhone XR for size and functionality. I definitely understand the desire to not have an iPad mini size device for a phone though! I started out with an iPhone 5 way back when, I think they were the first to get the 4" screen. I was happy with it until I got to use a friend's iPhone 6 Plus a few years later, then I upgraded to that model. But after a couple of years of lugging around the 6+ I decided to go smaller and went with the iPhone 7 (not the plus). That size was a too small and the smaller battery didn't hold a charge nearly as long as my 6+ did, so it was somewhat disappointing. A few years later I upgraded to my current model the iPhone XR. It is about the right size and holds a good charge. Fortunately they keep shrinking the bezels allowing for larger screens in an over all smaller phone body. The 6+ had large bezels compared to newer models. But they are still smaller, or at least less bulky and lighter weight, than some of the first analogue cellular dumb phones I had back in the 1990s!

#7  pwalker8 10-07-2020, 02:36 PM
Based on the email, it sounds like a 5G iPhone. I'm also fine with my current iPhone. I upgraded to the iPhone 11 Pro Max earlier this summer with 512 GB. It's a good size for me, big enough not to lose and big enough to be able to read on it while staying socially distanced in the grocery store and plenty of storage for audiobooks. 5G coverage around me isn't all that great so I have no problem waiting for the networks to be upgraded enough to make a difference. Since cellular isn't my primary internet connection, LTE is more than fast enough right now.

#8  pwalker8 10-07-2020, 02:39 PM
Quote OtinG
I’m good as for as iPhone goes, so no need for a new one.

I do wish they would release a truly usable remote for my Apple TV 4K though. That garbage that came with it is a huge pile of excrement, and Apple doesn't allow all functions to be programmed into 3rd party remotes.
I don't think I would go quite that far, but yea, I find the remote rather lacking. I wish they would have the remote app act like a touch screen mirror of the apple tv screen, rather than mimic the physical remote. I guess you are suppose to use Siri to do the major stuff.

#9  John F 10-07-2020, 03:02 PM
I would like a smaller iPhone. I do like my iPhone 11, but would prefer something smaller, like the original iPhone SE or 4s, but thin and with no button on the front (edge to edge screen).

#10  tomsem 10-07-2020, 03:33 PM
There are rumors about a newer, faster Apple TV (some Arcade games need a faster processor) and smaller/cheaper HomePods. But 5G iPhones will no doubt head up things.

I still don’t see where demand, much less need, for 5G phones comes from. But of course Apple needs to support it as it’s ‘expected’.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register