Mobileread
Are E-ink devices still a thing?
#11  Tarana 08-12-2020, 04:56 PM
I think they will remain a thing for some time. There just aren't a lot of advances to continue to make to the devices. Amber lighting is a big thing for those who read at night and the Oasis has it. Scrolling is the only thing I can think useful to add. USB-C is important to others. Ereaders are just a way to sell books. The market has reached saturation level.

#12  JSWolf 08-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Quote Tarana
I think they will remain a thing for some time. There just aren't a lot of advances to continue to make to the devices. Amber lighting is a big thing for those who read at night and the Oasis has it. Scrolling is the only thing I can think useful to add. USB-C is important to others. Ereaders are just a way to sell books. The market has reached saturation level.
But USB-C is not needed and it's better to stick with microUSB.

#13  theducks 08-12-2020, 05:27 PM
Quote JSWolf
Cables are cheap. I have a Multi (USBc, Micro and apple) for my charging locations.
For loading, I have proper cables and a USB Hub.
FWIW, I still have things wit USB Mini

#14  rcentros 08-12-2020, 05:40 PM
Quote ProDigit
Now that the novelty has faded,
Are E-ink devices still a thing?
They still are for me. A better question (from my perspective) would be, "are tablets still a thing for reading?" And, if so, why? They're heavy, the screen is unusable outdoors and they have to be charged daily. I have one 7" Fire tablet that I try to keep charged, but I use it so little that the battery is often dead when I do go to use it.

Quote ProDigit
Have there been any significant improvements made, since the invention of it?
You could ask the same question about tablets. Since Apple released the iPad in 2010 (and tried to patent a "rectangle with rounded corners") while colluding with the Big 5 publishers to raise prices of eBooks, tablets have basically remained the same. And, yet, I'm pretty sure you would say "they're still a thing."

Both eReaders and tablets have seen many improvements since 2010. Some folks think tablets or smartphones make good eReaders. More power to them but I'm not one of those people.

#15  Deskisamess 08-12-2020, 05:53 PM
People who think phones or tablets are fine for reading most likely aren't reading like I do, or they don't have the vision issues I have. I read on average 3-5 fiction books per week, especially since mid March.

I can't take my glasses off and hold my iPhone or Mini 7" from my eyes in a dark room for 1-2 hours every night. I can do that with my Paperwhite or Oasis, and I could on my Kobo Glo HD.

I have read a few books on my phone or mini, when they were only available on the Overdrive app. But I avoid it like the plague.

When reading non-fiction, I use my Mini or Pro if there are pictures or maps, but the reading is done on e-ink.

E-ink gave pleasure reading back to me in 2009. It means a lot, is very important, and my life would not be the same without it. And I say that with no hesitation nor apology for being too precious or emotional. If backlit devices were my only choice for reading, my reading would be seriously reduced, at least by 3/4ths.

#16  barryem 08-12-2020, 08:38 PM
I mostly read on my phone even though I have a couple of Paperwhites. The reason is size. It's always in my shirt pocket and I never know when I'll have a few minutes to read and the Kindle is too big to carry with me unless I'm pretty sure I'll be reading.

However, I think e-ink is probably the future of reading. The problem is that for people like me there just aren't good, affordable choices in a pocket size ereader. Hopefully that will change.

My hope is that companies like Amazon and Kobo and B&N will give up on ereaders and other companies will start making them and compete with the devices, not with the books they want to sell. That's when we'll be able to get choices that match our varied needs.

I hear a lot of complaints that ereaders are diminishing because there aren't the big advances that we're used to in tech but there's a difference: ereaders have already been pretty much perfected. They work just the way we want them to work. Kind of like books.

Phones, computers, tablets are new in the world and they're advancing rapidly and we expect that for all tech. But books aren't new. There've been books since long before Gutenberg. There have been a few major advances in books but not many. One was the printing press and the most recent is the ereader. It's not something new. It's not technology bringing us something we haven't had before. It's just a new way of doing the same old thing we've been doing for millenia. Expecting the same things we expect from phones and computers makes no sense.

Barry

#17  MGlitch 08-12-2020, 09:02 PM
Quote JSWolf
One day we’re going to find out Jon is getting paid off by micro usb and ereader case sellers. USB C being reversible by default is all the reason needed to drop micro usb.

I’ll go ahead and counter your claim that shoddy usb c cable exists with shoddy micro usb cable exists. It’s not a problem with the connection type.

#18  Deskisamess 08-12-2020, 09:19 PM
USB C being reversible by default is all the reason needed to drop micro usb.
Agreed. It is so much easier to use, especially for those of us of a certain age and those with fine motor issues etc.

#19  theducks 08-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Quote barryem

My hope is that companies like Amazon and Kobo and B&N will give up on ereaders and other companies will start making them and compete with the devices, not with the books they want to sell. That's when we'll be able to get choices that match our varied needs.

Barry
Barry, Amazon is the reason e-Ink reader got cheap. The 'Kodak Model': Sell cheap device and make it on the content.
My 6" Astak was $200 Direct sales only (to keep middleman markup at bay)
Sony was over $300.
Mind you, both just read books. No backlight, WiFi, speakers.
Amazon killed that market, as the were selling 'at high volume materials cost' (I priced a replacement Vizplex display: $85 for my Astak. The price of my K4 which had WiFi and the next gen display)
No wonder other bailed. Nobody else had the volume needed to pull the costs down (I worked for a company that looked into possibly 'cost reducing' e-reader. They couldn't remove enough cost to make it worth while to manufacture)

#20  JSWolf 08-12-2020, 09:30 PM
Quote theducks
Cables are cheap. I have a Multi (USBc, Micro and apple) for my charging locations.
For loading, I have proper cables and a USB Hub.
FWIW, I still have things wit USB Mini
But for USB-C, you cannot just go on price. You have to make sure the cable is properly made.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/15)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register