Mobileread
NOOK doesn't have recognizable folders
#11  John F 03-28-2020, 08:36 AM
Just curious...

For other Nook owners, do Nooks usually have that many folders in the root directory?

#12  JSWolf 03-28-2020, 10:21 AM
I would do a factory reset and see what happens from there.

#13  NonSkidSurface 03-28-2020, 01:12 PM
I did a factory reset, but there is no difference. I tried to perform a hard reset, but nothing happens when I press both the home button and the power button. Since all other functions work OK, I guess I will just keep the reader and forget adding my own screensavers. Not that important to me anyway. I want to thank you all for being so eager to help! I will monitor my thread in case someone wants me to try something else.

#14  Bookstooge 03-28-2020, 05:21 PM
I would seriously consider returning it then. If it won't hard reset and you're getting corrupted folder names, it could be a bad disc or something. Might be working fine now, but it could simply go at any time.

good luck!

#15  NonSkidSurface 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM
You've talked me into returning it. It is very new. Funny that the very 1st Nook that became available is still perfect - except it has 2 bright spots in the screen that bother me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#16  JSWolf 03-28-2020, 08:23 PM
Did you try a different cable, different USB port, different computer?

#17  NonSkidSurface 03-28-2020, 09:11 PM
Quote JSWolf
Did you try a different cable, different USB port, different computer?
Thanks. I just now tried it with a different cable and on a Win 10 laptop with the same bad results.

#18  JSWolf 03-28-2020, 09:24 PM
Quote NonSkidSurface
Thanks. I just now tried it with a different cable and on a Win 10 laptop with the same bad results.

I have another idea. Delete the folders and files with the garbage names.

#19  NonSkidSurface 03-29-2020, 02:34 PM
I was reluctant to delete folders, although I would try it with an older device. I exchanged it for a new one today. All the folders in the new Nook are proper, and just like what I see in my other Nooks. At one time I wondered if Calibre did something to corrupt the Nook folders, but I just added 60 ebooks via Calibre and all is fine. I am not technically savvy about this stuff, but I wonder how the bad Nook managed to work just fine. I wouldn't have known there was trouble except that I tried to put pictures into a particular folder that wasn't there. Thanks to all again. And maybe new Nook owners should check it as a USB drive and see what the folders look like.

#20  Calenorn 03-29-2020, 03:08 PM
Be careful not to disconnect the NOOK from the computer too quickly after side-loading books. My Windows PC will show a pop-up message that it is safe to disconnect the device, but both NOOK and Kobo devices do take a little time to finish copying the files. Pull the plug too soon and you will corrupt the database.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register