Mobileread
Suggestions: Windows software reader opds ebook reader/library?
#11  Kaysclie 02-24-2019, 02:55 PM
I have calibre running on my windows 7 laptop. Can I also run it on my Surface Pro running windows 10?...meaning that I would have calibre on both machines. Or would that cause a problem?? I have Freda on my Surface Pro.

#12  maximus83 02-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Quote Apache
I have a Surface Pro and this is what I do. I have epubs set to open with Freda+. When I click on a book in my Calibre library it opens in Freda+.
Apache
Do you try to use the Calibre OPDS connection to connect to it from within the Freda app on the same machine? I tried the loopback local address (127.0.0.1:8080), the local IP address, etc, on the local machine. I could get a browser to connect to Calibre locally and load up a reading view of my ebook library, but Freda couldn't connect locally even if I opened up for the Calibre main app and the web server executables in my firewall.

Or, do you browse within Calibre itself, open the containing folder, and click on the book to open it with Freda? I can make that work. I don't see a way to switch the default epub viewer within Calibre to something outside of Calibre's own viewer.

#13  HarryT 02-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Quote maximus83
Or, do you browse within Calibre itself, open the containing folder, and click on the book to open it with Freda? I can make that work. I don't see a way to switch the default epub viewer within Calibre to something outside of Calibre's own viewer.
Firstly, set up your desired app to be the Windows default app for opening ePub files (ie so when you double click an ePub file it opens in that app). Next, in Calibre, select Preferences → Interface → Behavior and tell Calibre NOT to use its internal viewer for ePub files. It will then display ePub using the operating system default.

#14  dwig 02-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Quote maximus83
...I don't see a way to switch the default epub viewer within Calibre to something outside of Calibre's own viewer.
It's a two step process. Calibre isn't able to specify what external app to use. You need to:
  1. On the Preferences>Behavior panel in calibre, uncheck ePub in the sections labled "Use internal viewer for:". Calibre will now simply pass the Open requests to the OS for it to deal with finding an app.
  2. Set your OS to use Freda as the default viewer for ePub format. On Windows you can right-click on an ePub file, select "Open with", select "choose another app", select Freda, check the "Always use..." checkbox and then click OK. On macOS you use the Get Info box to perform the same chore.

Personally, I prefer to export from Calibre using its Save to Disk function, saving to a folder I've created for the purpose, and then, in Freda, import the books from that folder. I leave calibre set to use its internal viewer and leave Edge set as the Windows OS default.

#15  maximus83 02-24-2019, 07:07 PM
That's the ticket--thank you both, I had actually looked at that dialog in Preferences earlier, wondering if there was a way to set what reading app would open, and I overlooked it.

Doing this seems like a more efficient way to run Calibre locally to manage books and pop it open on your preferred reader (as opposed to running the OPDS server and trying to access it locally).

#16  Apache 02-24-2019, 08:26 PM
Quote Kaysclie
I have calibre running on my windows 7 laptop. Can I also run it on my Surface Pro running windows 10?...meaning that I would have calibre on both machines. Or would that cause a problem?? I have Freda on my Surface Pro.
I have been running Calibre on y Surface Pro for at least 3 years and have not had any problems. The only problem you might have would be keeping both libraries synced.
Apache

#17  maximus83 02-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Quote Apache
I have been running Calibre on y Surface Pro for at least 3 years and have not had any problems. The only problem you might have would be keeping both libraries synced.
Apache
Why not do something like put the library files on Onedrive (or Dropbox, or Google Drive), and point Calibre to that, regardless which machine you're running it on? From Calibre's POV, it's just syncing to the local copy of Onedrive anyway. I've been doing that for a while and not having any syncing problems, although I have heard a few stories of Onedrive sync issues from other Calibre users.

Advantage of this approach is the cloud drive software that you use handles (most of) the syncing for you.

#18  Apache 02-25-2019, 09:40 AM
I keep a backup copy of my library on the cloud and multiple HDs, but I prefer to have my main copy on my Surface.
Apache

#19  JSWolf 02-28-2019, 10:55 AM
Quote Jim Chapman
(disclaimer: I am the developer of the Freda app)
Would you mind adding a respect CSS option? I sometimes want to read as the CSS dictates so I'd like ot have all the overrides off so I can do so. This is a highly common problem with most reading software and if you could allow an option to shut off the overrides, it would really fix this problem. Thanks.

#20  maximus83 02-28-2019, 01:35 PM
Quote JSWolf
Would you mind adding a respect CSS option? I sometimes want to read as the CSS dictates so I'd like ot have all the overrides off so I can do so. This is a highly common problem with most reading software and if you could allow an option to shut off the overrides, it would really fix this problem. Thanks.
+1. I like Freda and this would make it even better. I wish every Android app would add this too. I emailed the devs of Moon+ and FB reader recently, and ask them to do this. Moon+ replied and said added to our feature request list, no reply from FB.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register