Mobileread
Surface Pro
#1  Kaysclie 08-10-2018, 11:15 AM
I have been pouring over web pages and youtube videos about the new microsoft surface pros and am still on the fence. Has anyone here bought one or tried one out and can offer up any info on these devices? Or just your opinion would be helpful. I am thinking of getting one of these while they are still on sale and putting it away for a xmas present for myself!

#2  WillAdams 08-10-2018, 11:56 AM
I've always liked that pen computers allowed me to draw, write, and annotate far more naturally than a mouse and have used them by preference since purchasing an NCR-3125 which ran Windows for Pen Computing or PenPoint and have been a big proponent of pen computing for a very long while, and always regretted not getting a Surface Pro 1 or 2.

The new units are nice, if one can accept the Ntrig digitizer --- I mislike that particular technology since it has a lower hover distance than I'm accustomed to, but it works well for some folks.

Of greater concern is that Microsoft has dumbed the stylus down to an 11th finger since Fall Creators Update, requiring odd interactions to select text and crippling the machines for use with legacy applications --- my machine has updated twice now and I've had to roll the updates back both times since I couldn't work with the new UI, nor draw in Macromedia Freehand.

#3  ZGottlieb 08-10-2018, 05:42 PM
While I don't have a surfacepro, I'm on my 3rd surface - the other two I passed to my daughters. I love it. Its the right size, does what I want with a nice sized key board.

#4  Apache 08-11-2018, 10:16 PM
I have had the Surface Pro 4 for over three years now and still love it.
Apache

#5  Kaysclie 08-12-2018, 06:46 PM
I have a surface 3 at the moment but am eying The surface pro. Maybe....while its still on sale. Good idea??

#6  WillAdams 08-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Yes, if it suits you and you can tolerate (or don't need) the NTrig stylus.

I find its low hover distance and slow-speed jitter off-putting, and Microsoft has decided to make the stylus function as touch input (so that it can be used to scroll) since Fall Creators Update --- this unfortunately, makes it impossible to select text w/o using a side button, or to use legacy applications (I believe there's a registry hack to change this back).

I just roll back to 1703 whenever a new update is installed. Had to do it twice now.

#7  Sweetpea 08-17-2018, 04:33 AM
Quote WillAdams
Yes, if it suits you and you can tolerate (or don't need) the NTrig stylus.

I find its low hover distance and slow-speed jitter off-putting, and Microsoft has decided to make the stylus function as touch input (so that it can be used to scroll) since Fall Creators Update --- this unfortunately, makes it impossible to select text w/o using a side button, or to use legacy applications (I believe there's a registry hack to change this back).

I just roll back to 1703 whenever a new update is installed. Had to do it twice now.
They not only changed it for NTrig pens, this is the same for my SP2. I didn't know about a registry hack though!

#8  Kaysclie 08-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Quote Apache
I have had the Surface Pro 4 for over three years now and still love it.
Apache
Which version of the Surface Pro 4 do you have? The newer Surface Pro is pretty expensive and I hope to find a Pro 4 to pay less.

#9  Sirtel 08-26-2018, 03:15 PM
I've had a Surface Pro 3 for 2 years now (bought it almost new, at half the price). Very satisfied and don't feel the need to upgrade yet (I have a new laptop too, I use that as my main PC). I would never replace my Surface with any other tablet, particularly an Android one. If it gives up the ghost, I'll get another Surface Pro.

#10  Apache 08-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Quote Sirtel
I would never replace my Surface with any other tablet, particularly an Android one. If it gives up the ghost, I'll get another Surface Pro.
This is how I feel too.
Apache

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register