Mobileread
ePub gets (yet) another DRM system
#11  JSWolf 03-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Quote John F
As far as MR readers* getting pissed...

The buyers won't get pissed. The DRM will be cracked**.

Library users will be pissed.

* Mr readers who have no way to update there ereaders
** prevailing opinion is that the DRM would be*** cracked.
*** cracked relatively quickly since it would be the new popular/widely used DRM
So this will be cracked just like the new DRM available in ADE versions 3+?

#12  shalym 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Quote JSWolf
So this will be cracked just like the new DRM available in ADE versions 3+?
I'm confident that if/when stores start forcing people to use version 3+, then it will be cracked. When I first got my Kobo, the kepub DRM couldn't be removed, now it can. (which is nice, because it means that I can buy books from Kobo ) I'm confident that Alf and his colleagues will be able to handle anything that they *choose* to focus on. Right now, it's not a priority, as the workarounds exist.

Shari

#13  crich70 03-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Quote JSWolf
The problem is going to be that this new DRM will not be successful. As of right now, all (other than Apple) programs or apps that handles DRM and ePub uses Adobe's DRM. If this new DRM came out, these ePub will not work without new programs/apps. No eInk Reader will handle the DRM. I can see this new DRM tank.
Not to mention the time and expense converting existing epub books to the new DRM. And of course by the time they could do that someone would have worked out how to crack it. The government has had similar problems over the yrs with counterfeiters making their 'funny money.' Every time (in the past) that they come up with something to prevent it someone seems to have come up with a way around it. I can't see ebook protection being any easier.

#14  John F 03-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Quote crich70
Not to mention the time and expense converting existing epub books to the new DRM. And of course by the time they could do that someone would have worked out how to crack it. The government has had similar problems over the yrs with counterfeiters making their 'funny money.' Every time (in the past) that they come up with something to prevent it someone seems to have come up with a way around it. I can't see ebook protection being any easier.
I'm guessing there is no "converting existing books to DRM"; the DRM gets applied when the ebook is downloaded.

#15  fjtorres 03-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Quote John F
I'm guessing there is no "converting existing books to DRM"; the DRM gets applied when the ebook is downloaded.
Yes.
The books are stored DRM-free. DRM is a function of the store not the book.

#16  Sydney's Mom 03-22-2017, 07:07 PM
I recently had some problems when I had to re-download windows. When I downloaded Calibre, I had put my books in just the right place-it was so easy. DRM, not so much. I tried different things for 3-days, then decided I would not be buying anymore epubs. DeDRM worked for kindle. Finally, right before I re-downloaded windows again and started from scratch, I found a way to get it working.

Long story short. I will not buy books if I cannot crack the DRM. I have never shared a book nor posted it for others to download. So rather than preventing piracy, it prevents a sale.

Long story shro

#17  MyDK 10-05-2018, 07:31 AM
Readium LCP is a reality:
https://www.edrlab.org/2017/09/20/demarque-launches-readium-lcp-mobile-app/
And it will become a DRM standard for ebooks within next 3 years:
https://www.edrlab.org/2018/09/11/an-epub-drm-lcp-to-become-an-iso-standard/
They are also considering including PDF. So, in Europe I am sure, it will be accepted and used

#18  fjtorres 10-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Quote MyDK
Readium LCP is a reality:
https://www.edrlab.org/2017/09/20/demarque-launches-readium-lcp-mobile-app/
And it will become a DRM standard for ebooks within next 3 years:
https://www.edrlab.org/2018/09/11/an-epub-drm-lcp-to-become-an-iso-standard/
They are also considering including PDF. So, in Europe I am sure, it will be accepted and used
Are you sure?
The French aren't part of the process:

USA, UK, China, Republic of Korea, Japan, Lebanon, Russia have all voted yes (France is not part of this SC34 Committee). The draft submitted to the ISO members is clearly based on Readium LCP; the USA representative, George Kerscher, has formally insisted that the future standard must be “a standardization of the existing LCP”.
Last I heard there is a separate french DRM that Sony adopted.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/04/05/sony-launches-new-ebook-drm/

Dunno if anybody is actually selling ebooks with it, though.

A caution: what they voted on was casting the specification in concrete as an official international standard (a good thing that epub alone never thought to do) but there are hundreds of ISO standards that are ignored or barely used.

There is a difference between "paper standards", defacto standards, and supported standards.

It is a step forward but just that.
Until others *stop* using existing DRM schemes, all this does is increase epub forking by one more.

https://xkcd.com/927/

#19  GlenBarrington 10-05-2018, 09:01 AM
You know, I was just saying the other day, "We simply don't have enough DRM in the world!"

#20  Tarana 10-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Quote JSWolf
This new DRM is just another way to screw with eBooks in an effort to try to get people to dump eBooks and move back to pBooks.
Ah, but think of the marketing bonanza for Amazon as they don't do epub.

If I can't remove DRM, I stop buying. Within the next 2 years, I should have all my series complete and it won't matter. So long as I can get batteries for my current ereaders, I will be fine (I'm almost an old fogey). It will be more of a problem for younger people who have many decades of reading ahead of them. I'll be lucky if I finish out 2 decades from now.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/13)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register