Mobileread
ePub gets (yet) another DRM system
#121  HarryT 11-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Quote John F
I was just curious why you would use the word "suspect"; you could just say there are "few".

And than we could nitpick the definition of few.
Unfortunately open ePubs (in my experience at least) are generally not the type of book that the typical person actually wants to read. The ones I've seen have tended toward rather heavy-weight academic tomes. But that may of course simply indicate that I've been looking in the wrong place .

#122  stumped 11-06-2018, 10:45 AM
i have had at least one (UK) library loan that appeared with no DRM. e.g. when I did download epub at checkout I got a whole book but with a gibberish file name, not a licence file for ADE. I don't recall the specific title though. would have been fiction, not non fiction.

#123  John F 11-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Quote HarryT
Unfortunately open ePubs (in my experience at least) are generally not the type of book that the typical person actually wants to read. The ones I've seen have tended toward rather heavy-weight academic tomes. But that may of course simply indicate that I've been looking in the wrong place .
Maybe different here in the U.S.? For the link I provided, of the 4,573 books 4,227 are categorized as fiction.

For example, some of Brandon Sanderson's books are available.

#124  DNSB 11-06-2018, 06:13 PM
Quote HarryT
I strongly suspect that there are few publishers who would be willing to allow libraries to lend ebooks without DRM, and its absence would completely destroy the textbook rental market. Like it or not, DRM has its place.
For the libraries, the DRM also serves to enforce the time limit on a loan. If I borrow an open epub from my local library, it does not have a limited reading period. Given the limits on lending with most ebooks obtained by libraries, having a single patron borrow and not return a book might be a bit of an issue.

#125  meeera 11-07-2018, 02:17 AM
Quote HarryT
I had a quick look at the open epubs that my library's Overdrive offers, and it's not that at all. One of the biggest categories there is romance, and it includes such heavy-hitting authors as Nalini Singh, Courtney Milan, Lauren Dane, Jennie Jones, Sarah Barrie.

#126  stumped 11-07-2018, 02:25 AM
In a way, it's irrelevant? The current library standard of DRM is not exactly fort Knox. Anyone who want to crack it, can.

For me, as the library reading apps improve, like Libby, I am ok with reading in that an not bothering with the hassle of downloading epub via ade. Yes, moon reader is more customisable but Libby is good enough for a read it once novel.

#127  darryl 11-07-2018, 05:09 AM
Quote stumped
In a way, it's irrelevant? The current library standard of DRM is not exactly fort Knox. Anyone who want to crack it, can.

For me, as the library reading apps improve, like Libby, I am ok with reading in that an not bothering with the hassle of downloading epub via ade. Yes, moon reader is more customisable but Libby is good enough for a read it once novel.
If you only read library books this is a viable option. If you "purchase" and don't keep your own backups, then I hope that you don't live to regret it.

#128  stumped 11-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Quote darryl
If you only read library books this is a viable option. If you "purchase" and don't keep your own backups, then I hope that you don't live to regret it.
the only store with DRM that I buy from is amazon uk, and I have a workflow for de-drming those via an old version of Kindle for PC.
i use the local(overdrive) library as a source of read-it-once & return it novels

#129  darryl 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Quote stumped
the only store with DRM that I buy from is amazon uk, and I have a workflow for de-drming those via an old version of Kindle for PC.
i use the local(overdrive) library as a source of read-it-once & return it novels
In that case you are very well set.

#130  Ruskie_it 09-17-2020, 05:56 AM
Quote MyDK
Readium LCP is a reality:
https://www.edrlab.org/2017/09/20/demarque-launches-readium-lcp-mobile-app/
And it will become a DRM standard for ebooks within next 3 years:
https://www.edrlab.org/2018/09/11/an-epub-drm-lcp-to-become-an-iso-standard/
They are also considering including PDF. So, in Europe I am sure, it will be accepted and used
The clock is ticking...

« First  « Prev   (13/13)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register