Mobileread
Where does Kobo store the free books?
#1  kucera 08-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Two problems:
1. I don't seem to be able to find the 100 books in the Kobo folders, when it is plugged in and I look at the contents of the folders. No problem in the Calibre, but

2. even the Kobo desktop application only shows 5 books, no matter how many times I click 'Update Library' to sync with the reader.

Can someone edify me, please?

#2  sabredog 08-15-2010, 10:34 PM
The free books are contained within the Koboreader.sqlite which resides on the Kobo.

Calibre will allow you to remove the 100 free books individually or en mass if you wish to remove them.

Calibre would be a better bet to use than the Kobo software, which from a lot of reports seems a bit buggy.

#3  moffattm 08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
The free books are actually stored within a SQLite database, not as individual files. As such they are treated slightly differently to normal ebooks. Under normal circumstances you can't delete the 100 free books (although if you are running version 1.4 software then you can tell your Kobo to hide them). If you don't mind doing a bit of hacking around then there are ways to completely remove the books.

#4  kucera 08-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks, that makes it clear enough. And yes, I do use Calibre, to wipe out some of the freebies - though there are several of the classics that I am happy to keep and hoping to read (one of these days).
Regards Emil Kucera

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register