Mobileread
What an idiot - I just bought a book without an ePub file!
#1  HarleyB 08-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I can't believe I have done this...
I just purchased a book from Kobobooks.com and it doesn't have an ePub file so I can't read it on my Kobo.
There was a thread a few weeks ago about this so I KNEW to check that there was an ePub file first but I was so excited to see a book I wanted at a cheap price that I grabbed it before it disappeared.
Now I know why it was so cheap... I can't actually read it on my Kobo.

So it is available as mobile or web. Is there anyway I can convert these to a PDF or ePub because I hate reading on my computer screen and I don't have a smart phone. It will have DRM issues so I don't know if Calibre will help. But I don't even know if I can get it into Calibre? Suggestions anyone?
I have sent a message to Kobo but I know from experience that I get faster and better answers here.

Just a reminder if you want to read a book on your Kobo remember to check that it is available in ePub BEFORE you buy it.

#2  Leep 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM
If you contact Kobo customer service right away, they will probably let you return the book and give you credit. I had the same problem and they were very nice.

cheers

#3  HarleyB 08-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks I did send an email to Kobo (before I posted here) but I haven't heard back yet. They ususally take a while....
My problem is that I still want to read this book. I almost bought a paperback the other day as I hadn't seen it as an ebook before. Probably because I usually remember to only look at books available as ePubs.

#4  wrenn1 08-08-2010, 08:39 PM
There should be a search option as there are with library sites or most bookstores to search by format.

#5  sabredog 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Well you could remove DRM and convert via Calibre.

Otherwise, contacting customer support at Kobo to explain the situation may well resolve the issue.

#6  Solicitous 08-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote HarleyB
So it is available as mobile or web. Is there anyway I can convert these to a PDF or ePub because I hate reading on my computer screen and I don't have a smart phone. It will have DRM issues so I don't know if Calibre will help. But I don't even know if I can get it into Calibre? Suggestions anyone?
I have sent a message to Kobo but I know from experience that I get faster and better answers here.
Wont the Kobo-Desktop software sync the book with the reader? I noticed some of the free classics are not epub downloadable, only web.

#7  HarleyB 08-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Quote wrenn1
There should be a search option as there are with library sites or most bookstores to search by format.
Yes there is a search function that will only display ePubs which I often use. But this time I forgot/didn't think/was so excited about finding a cheap book that I had been looking for for ages that I didn't notice there was no ePub file until after I had purchased it.

#8  HarleyB 08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
How do I get the web or mobile format into Calibre? I have only ever used PDF and ePub with Calibre and ADE.
I don't have the Kobo-Desktop software as I bought my Kobo from Borders and so I have the Borders software which I don't use as I prefer ADE. I believe the Kobo-Desktop software is similar.
I could download the Kobo-Desktop application but would this file be there if it is not an ePub?

#9  sabredog 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Calibre will directly read HTML format files.

What is the extension of the web format?

#10  JSWolf 08-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote wrenn1
Yes, Kobo does have a way to filter for books with an ePub version after the search.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register