Mobileread
Potential Kobo Software Bugs?
#1  digital_steve 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
After installing the Kobo software, i was pretty unimpressed... it felt extremely slow, seemed to freeze every couple of seconds and just generally felt like loading a webpage with a 56k modem.

Lo and behold, after plugging the kobo into the computer the software works perfectly and responsively.

I just wanted to flag this as a potential bug.

Secondly, after making sure all my books were read so i only had the book/books i was currently reading in the 'im reading' page the software seems to have lost that information somewhere in between updating the library and syncing to the kobo... resulting in me loosing my f*cking page on 3 books and also loading up all my books into the 'im reading' page again.

Is this a bug as well, or did i cock something up?

#2  wrenn1 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Bug. Get used to it. I have learned to ignore what is on my 'I'm reading' list and write down what page I am on in books I am reading.

#3  digital_steve 07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Get used to it?
Err... ok.
I would think Kobo would want to address at least the software polling/searching for the kobo reader every couple of seconds causing the software to run like it's glitching constantly.

My apologies for bringing any bugs to light, i shall stick my head firmly in the sand from hereon in

#4  roguefan99 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote digital_steve

Secondly, after making sure all my books were read so i only had the book/books i was currently reading in the 'im reading' page the software seems to have lost that information somewhere in between updating the library and syncing to the kobo... resulting in me loosing my f*cking page on 3 books and also loading up all my books into the 'im reading' page again.

This has been reported to Kobo, and I was hoping that it would be fixed with the 1.4 update. Its why I wont use the Kobo software (well that an its slow) at the moment because I hate how it resets the books and reups the I'm reading page.

#5  digital_steve 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM
It is 100 times quicker when the kobo reader is plugged in!
Pretty big software cock up in my opinion. I'm sure they'll fix it

#6  wrenn1 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM
"cock up" is a good thing in Canada.

#7  digital_steve 07-20-2010, 11:28 PM
That explains why you're such a dominant global power

#8  jimr 07-21-2010, 09:54 AM
It also explains why we built the CN Tower

#9  digital_steve 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM
LOL! very nice

#10  SameerH 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Quote digital_steve
After installing the Kobo software, i was pretty unimpressed... it felt extremely slow, seemed to freeze every couple of seconds and just generally felt like loading a webpage with a 56k modem.

Lo and behold, after plugging the kobo into the computer the software works perfectly and responsively.

I just wanted to flag this as a potential bug.

Various rooster-related comments notwithstanding...

There's no reason why this should be the case.

(But you probably saw that coming ) There are parts of the app which use only locally stored data, and other parts which call out to a server. The store, the sign in process, creating an account, are such call-outs and are often subject to slow downs. Whereas reading, browsing your book collection are examples of local-only tasks. Are you finding both slow at all times and having them speed up when you connect the eReader?

We do know that there are some performance issues when connecting to our servers from down under, but the local stuff should work fine.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register