Mobileread
Things you can do with your iLiad
#11  mocelet 11-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Quote nekokami
For #11, I think you might need the "companion" software... has anyone gotten this working in a straightforward way without the "companion" software?
No, you don;t need the companion SW. I have a share set up on my Linux server that the iLiad connects to. Given how tricky it was to set up and debug when I could look through Samba log files to see what was happening, I don't expect it would be easy on a true Windows machine, but it should be possible.

If anyone wants the relevant snippet of my smb.conf, I am happy to post it.

#12  nekokami 11-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Since I'd be trying to set it up on linux or osx, yes, that would be helpful. Thanks.

#13  mocelet 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Quote nekokami
Since I'd be trying to set it up on linux or osx, yes, that would be helpful. Thanks.
Here you go then ...

Code
[eBooks] comment = Auto sync directory for iLiad path = /media/eBooks force user = ogg force group = ogg read only = No guest ok = Yes hide unreadable = Yes
the user and group ogg are the owners of the /media directory, and everything within, but the user ogg is not listed in smbpasswd.
/media/eBooks is mode 775.

I don't think any of the [global] section is pertinent, but if you get stuck I can PM you that section as well.

The samba log file (/var/log/samba/192.168.1.188.log.1 in my case) looks something like this for a good connection that downloads a couple of books:

Code
[2007/11/01 19:39:48, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(950) 192.168.2.188 (192.168.2.188) connect to service eBooks initially as user ogg (uid=503, gid=503) (pid 20313)
[2007/11/01 19:40:02, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1150) 192.168.2.188 (192.168.2.188) closed connection to service eBooks
And for completeness
Code
$ smbd -V
reports
Code
"Version 3.0.24-7.fc5"

#14  daudi 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
I followed this thread to set it up on linux and it just worked first time.

#15  nekokami 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Quote daudi
I followed this thread to set it up on linux and it just worked first time.
Adam, maybe add that link to #11 in your top post? I knew it had been discussed but couldn't remember enough of the right search keywords to find it.

#16  Utahcowboy 07-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I have a question too. I am considering buying an illiad but I have some questions.
1. Can you only annotate pdf files?
2. How big can you make the font size in other file formats? (I don't see very well, thats why I am asking)
3. How quick is the response time in flipping pages and cycling through menus compared with other ebook devices?
4. Seeing as you can write and draw pictures on a note pad, can you then attach these files to other document formats?
5. Does it support pull down menus?

I am asking these questions because I believe I made a mistake in buying my Cybook because it is slow and relatively featureless. I got it because I knew that I could make the font big enough to read.

#17  astra 07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
iLiad is no faster than CyBook Gen3

#18  wallcraft 07-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Quote Utahcowboy
1. Can you only annotate pdf files?
2. How big can you make the font size in other file formats? (I don't see very well, thats why I am asking)
3. How quick is the response time in flipping pages and cycling through menus compared with other ebook devices?
4. Seeing as you can write and draw pictures on a note pad, can you then attach these files to other document formats?
5. Does it support pull down menus?
1. Yes, only PDFs.
2. In FBReader, 72 pt is possible but 36 pt puts enough text on each line (shown below) with any font. In MobiPocket Reader, about 36 pt but with limited font selection, no hyphenation and no control of line spacing. The font size of the contentlister (menus) can't be changed. See the attached screenshots. Don't forget that the screen is larger than the Gen3's, but still relatively small.
3. Slower. MobiPocket Reader is optimized but still a bit slower than other devices. 3rd party software like FBReader can be very slow.
4. I'm not sure, but I doubt it.
5. Standard apps use the icons at the bottom of the screen for most things. For example, in MobiPocket Reader the font size of changed by clicking on the Aa-up or Aa-down icons. Ported X11 apps can use any GTK+ (say) features, but X11 partial screen updates often cause ghosting.
iliad_FBR_large.png iliad_MP_large.png iliad_menu.png 

#19  nekokami 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I haven't noticed any particular slowness in page turns with FBreader, only in PDFs.

The pictures you draw in notes are stored as PNG files. You can't attach them to anything on the iLiad itself, but you can embed them in other documents (I've done this in OpenOffice documents).

#20  renushan 09-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Dear Iliad enthusiasts,

I am Renu, one lucky girl. My kid brother bought me Sony PRS-500 a year ago, and my big brother is sending me Iliad in a few days!

I request you to answer a query of mine. My mother-tongue is Tamil and I have a few Tamil books scanned. There are no good Tamil OCRs available. I used PDFLRFWIN utility to format the scanned pdf for Sony. I searched through the net, and I found that there is no such utility that automatically crops and reflows scanned PDFs. (PDFLRFWIN cuts the page into Sony size and attaches the left over with next page, then cuts the next page and so on). I tried with PDFCROPPER, it crops, but does not reflow the document.

I am no programmer, and cannot work with scripts. Can any of you please suggest me a utility similar to PDFLRFWIN for Iliad?

Thank you.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register