Mobileread
[FONT] How to enable Advanced Option for sideload fonts (without root) ?
#1  meo_map13 12-04-2020, 01:00 AM
Dear,
It's me again, trying to explore my Kobo Clara and some new tricks.

I copy some customized fonts (.ttf) into "fonts" folder, adjust the conf. file in ".Kobo" folder as GeoffR's guidance for Freedom to Advanced font control by adding readingFontWeight and readingFontSharpnes to the [Reading] section in Device .conf file as attached photo.

However while reading my kepub ebook, it's still no show Advanced option. I've tried all Fonts family in here
https://drive.google.c o m/drive/folders/1w_801KjW1ga5ASR4VxZy1_Uj5JCjkb34?usp=sharing

but seems nothing happens.
Could you please help with any solution/fix besides patching the Kobo Clara?
Thank you very much.
Kobo Advanced option.png 

#2  Sirtel 12-04-2020, 04:15 AM
Why don't you want to patch? That's the easiest way and it's also completely reversible.

#3  DNSB 12-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Quote meo_map13
but seems nothing happens.
Could you please help with any solution/fix besides patching the Kobo Clara?
Thank you very much.
The entries in the .conf file are a way of manually changing the weight but the key word there is manual, they do not enable the Advanced font controls. The only way I am aware of to enable the Advanced font controls for all fonts is to patch the firmware.

#4  meo_map13 12-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Quote Sirtel
Why don't you want to patch? That's the easiest way and it's also completely reversible.
The issue here is I already mod my Clara to 128 GB for ebooks and manga. I know patching the system will expand more function but come together with the risk that bricks and loses all my resources. Thank you anyway. I may try to patch it.

#5  meo_map13 12-04-2020, 09:42 PM
Quote DNSB
The entries in the .conf file are a way of manually changing the weight but the key word there is manual, they do not enable the Advanced font controls. The only way I am aware of to enable the Advanced font controls for all fonts is to patch the firmware.
Thank you very much for your kind reply. I'll find a way to backup my 128gb of ebook and manga. Then, I may try it.

#6  JSWolf 12-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Quote meo_map13
The issue here is I already mod my Clara to 128 GB for ebooks and manga. I know patching the system will expand more function but come together with the risk that bricks and loses all my resources. Thank you anyway. I may try to patch it.
I have never read of anyone bricking because of patching. I have patched many times and never a single brick.

#7  JSWolf 12-08-2020, 04:52 PM
Quote meo_map13
Thank you very much for your kind reply. I'll find a way to backup my 128gb of ebook and manga. Then, I may try it.
Plug in your Kobo and copy the visible partition and you have a backup. It's that easy.

#8  meo_map13 12-08-2020, 10:37 PM
Quote JSWolf
Plug in your Kobo and copy the visible partition and you have a backup. It's that easy.
Thank you my friend. It's nearly 128 Gb, so I plan to buy a new mobile hdd to backup also. Waiting for the year end promotion.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register