Mobileread
Any ETA On A New Kobo Device?
#1  tdry 12-02-2020, 10:35 PM
Just curious.

I'm planning on getting a Libra H2O soon as it's the closest to what I want, but have no idea what Kobo's release cycle is like, so just want to make sure I don't buy it only for something better to get released for the holidays.

#2  Uncle Robin 12-02-2020, 10:47 PM
Quote tdry
Just curious.

I'm planning on getting a Libra H2O soon as it's the closest to what I want, but have no idea what Kobo's release cycle is like, so just want to make sure I don't buy it only for something better to get released for the holidays.
They only released the Nia this year, and there has not even been any vaporware chat here about another one. Which guarantees that they will announce a 9-inch full-color e-ink device with USB-C and audiobook support 5 minutes after your credit card is charged for your Libra.

#3  tdry 12-02-2020, 11:28 PM
Quote Uncle Robin
They only released the Nia this year, and there has not even been any vaporware chat here about another one. Which guarantees that they will announce a 9-inch full-color e-ink device with USB-C and audiobook support 5 minutes after your credit card is charged for your Libra.
Par for the course.

#4  PeterT 12-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Mother's day

#5  Uncle Robin 12-03-2020, 12:42 AM
Quote PeterT
Mother's day
Which one?

#6  MGlitch 12-03-2020, 01:16 AM
Quote Uncle Robin
Which one?
The next one until we get a new kobo.

If I had to guess I’d say earliest we’d see would be late spring early summer or late summer early autumn.

That would likely be for a Forma and/or Clara upgrade since the Nia is new this year, the Libra was released late 2019, while the Forma and Clara HD were both 2018.

But at least as of this post I’m not aware of any reports of FCC filings from Kobo for an as of yet unreleased device. I don’t stalk such posts though they have a tendency to be rather noticeable both here and in the news forum.

#7  geek1011 12-03-2020, 11:25 PM
Nevertheless, I've seen multiple signs of a new device in development with significant improvements over the current ones, both in the firmware and elsewhere.

#8  DrChiper 12-04-2020, 06:13 AM
Quote Uncle Robin
[...]Which guarantees that they will announce a 9-inch full-color e-ink device with USB-C and audiobook support 5 minutes after your credit card is charged for your Libra.
Very likely the new device will also provide the nice smell of a fresh printed book (see similar smell announcement here) and 3D-fonts.

As the Libra currently got price-cuts over here (to make space ?), that future might be very near

#9  Sirtel 12-04-2020, 06:44 AM
Quote DrChiper
Very likely the new device will also provide the nice smell of a fresh printed book (see similar smell announcement here) and 3D-fonts.
Ye gods, I hope not. I hate that smell.

Now a nice cinnamon smell or something of that ilk would be welcome.

#10  JSWolf 12-04-2020, 06:50 AM
My guess is fall 2021.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register