Mobileread
Clara Double-page spreads on purchased e-book
#1  GianluC03 12-02-2020, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone, I just purchased Bakuman 1 from the kobo store and I didn't find an option to enable the double-page spread when necessary. I think it's definitely possible to do so because I used to create mangas with KCC and I could enable the double-page spread without a problem, the two pages were viewed as one horizontally. Is there any way I can do this on a purchased ebook? Using calibre or some other program7plugin to modify the file maybe?

#2  davidfor 12-02-2020, 07:22 PM
I have never heard mention of a double-page option for viewing purchased comics. It isn't something the viewer does, it is something that in how the book is created. From memory, KCC does this by generating pages in that format to be sent to the device. If the purchased book isn't like this, you would need to download the copy from the Kobo store and then convert it. As the Bakuman 1 I can see in the store is "EPUB 3 (Adobe DRM)", you need to download it using ADE, strip the DRM and then do the appropriate conversion. KCC might be able to do it, or you might need to convert to CBZ and then use KCC. And changing the extension of the DRM-free epub to CBZ might be enough for that to work.

#3  Galunid 12-03-2020, 05:05 AM
It should be doable in KOReader, although only if the comic isn't DRM protected (you could of course strip it).

#4  GianluC03 12-04-2020, 03:33 AM
Thank you guys, I think I'll try both options and see what works better but... I know I sound stupid, but how do I strip the DRM? I already downloaded the file through ADE

#5  davidfor 12-04-2020, 04:48 AM
The simplest way is with calibre plus the DRM plugins that are available from https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/.

#6  GianluC03 12-04-2020, 06:24 AM
I've installed the plugin and added the book, but there isn't an option to convert from epub to cbz in calibre

#7  davidfor 12-04-2020, 07:27 AM
Quote GianluC03
I've installed the plugin and added the book, but there isn't an option to convert from epub to cbz in calibre
That's why I suggested changing the extension to cbz. Calibre does not have a output conversion plugin for comic book formats, so you need to do it yourself. Alternatively, unpack the epub and zip up just the comic pages.

#8  GianluC03 12-04-2020, 03:16 PM
Ok I converted the file into zip, then I took the images and used KCC to create a brand-new manga. Two problems with this, first one, the pages are all the "same", so the double spread option couldn't recognize the images that were meant to be visualized together. So i had to merge the two images, only then It automatically rotated the image but after all of this I realized that the quality of the images was much worse than the originals. In fact, the new file was like 20 mb and the original was 135 mb. I don't know if I'm missing something, but I don't think this will do, please correct me if I'm wrong. Meanwhile I've installed KOReader but had a lot of problem with this one, like the direction automatically became LTR even though it was working properly on the standard software so I think I'll have to open a new thread in the KOReader forum.

#9  davidfor 12-04-2020, 07:36 PM
Was there a calibre conversion in there? If so, make sure you use the Tablet output profile. Other output profiles will probably resize the images.

Otherwise, it is probably KCC. From memory, it is optimising the images for the device. You probably should do any changes to the image before running it. And make sure you have chosen the correct device for the output.

#10  GianluC03 12-05-2020, 03:45 AM
Actually on Calibre I have an option like "e-reader" instead of "tablet". Also, the problem is the quality of the images itself, actually I like the fact that KCC kinda upscales the images when there are big white margins which are absolutely useless on e-reader in my opinion (it's not like they immerse you more in the comic), so is there a way to not get images with lower quality with the same options?

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register