Mobileread
Kindle owners should have a Kobo
#1  JSWolf 05-21-2020, 06:58 PM
I've been reading about some wanting night mode and the book cover to the the lock screen image.

What I want to know is why do Kindle owners want features they can already have with Kobo and can easily get by getting a Kobo yet they stick with a Kindle? Seems silly to me to have a Kindle that doesn't do what they want when they can get a Kobo that does do what they want.

#2  issybird 05-21-2020, 07:22 PM

There’s probably about a hundred answers to this, as you well know. Kudos for starting a topic that should get lots of responses. Of course you’re probably preaching to the choir in the Kobo forum; maybe posting in the Kindle forum would have been better?

I’ll kick it off. And anyone who looks left can see where I fall, but it’s still not hard.

#3  Sirtel 05-21-2020, 07:34 PM

#4  twowheels 05-21-2020, 07:39 PM
Because
...etc...

For me, I originally chose a Kindle way back when because the original Kobo wasn't as impressive as the Kindle 3 -- they were slower to get the Perl screen, the big ugly blue navigation button didn't do it for me, etc. Once I was in the Kindle ecosystem, it was easy to stay there. I only had 2 devices over almost 10 years, so it's not like there's a lot of opportunity to jump between them.

Even now, I was tempted to just stay there as I knew that it met my needs, but I didn't want to pay the price of the Oasis to get the color temp changing light, so this time Kobo got my business for having the feature at the right price point first. It helps that I'm technically literate enough to move my books back and forth with very little pain.

#5  Sirtel 05-21-2020, 08:11 PM
I bought my first Kobo ever as recently as half a year ago. Until then I had only Kindles. The reason for that was the lack of page turn buttons on Kobos. The Forma was the first Kobo to have them, but I was not really tempted by it. I liked the Libra more when it came out.

I haven't actually "jumped ship", so to speak, as I use both my Kindles and my Kobo, and occasionally my Nook. All of them have their pros and cons. My ebook library has resided in Calibre since I bought my first Kindle, so format shifting has never been a problem for me.

#6  Deskisamess 05-21-2020, 08:35 PM
I had a Kobo Glo HD, and used it for about a year. I didn't care for the Kobo store, and the lack of wireless delivery for non Kobo books outweighed any benefits the device offered over a Kindle.

I strongly disliked having to connect via usb to move books from Calibre to the Kobo. After about a year, I went back to Kindle. Especially now with Kindle Unlimited, and how quickly I burn through books, wireless delivery is a must for me.

The only feature/option I miss was the screen light control of swiping up/down on the left of the screen. Font options may be marginally better than Kindle, but not enough to tip the scale back to Kobo for me.

I find the whole Amazon Kindle world to be much easier and more seamless to deal with.

#7  ps67 05-21-2020, 11:21 PM
If You buy Your books from Amazon and download on Your Kindle with wi fii without do nothing else You have ligatures and generally a better typography than if You do the same thing from Kobo.

Say what You want about KFX, and many criticisms that are made of it are right, but Kepub typography is really something you don't expect from a big company like Rakuten Kobo (no ligatures, broken lines...)

Kindles have a better dictionary. For example the Italian dictionary You get when You buy Your Kobo is completely useless: if You find a word in it You already know its meaning, if You search a word that You don't know You are sure that You don't find it in the dictionary.

You can send to Amazon Your books to get synchronization for them (I know, You get the awful old mobi format...) Something that Kobo doesn't offer. You could be interested in Kindle unlimited. And in some countries Amazon has better prices for ebooks...

If You would like something that Kobo do better but for You Kindle's advantages are more important You simply continues to use Your Kindle.

After all I still prefer Kobo, also because there is no kindle with screen larger that 7" but I have no problem thinking that not everyone has the same ideas.

#8  TheSmitty 05-21-2020, 11:34 PM
So I can jump on this. I got my Kobo Libra H20 last Saturday. I have a few kindles already and have been Kindle since keyboard 3.
So why did I get a Kobo? Well mainly just to check it out since there were some features I kept reading about that kindles do not have. Things like book cover off/sleep screen and the stats info specifically. I also had hoped that buying from CA/UK store from USA would be easier but I have not had success with that yet. But I have seen some other posts to try. Also adding the stats ability to epubs I converted from Kindle books is on my list too.
Big thing I see as missing (I assume missing) is the whisper sync since I switch constantly from Audible to reading on Kindle as I commute and relax at home.
Will I switch exclusively to Kobo? No, I suspect not but I will not be solely tied to my Oasis 3 either. The Kobo device is very nice and I am glad I have it and certainly glad I am free to use whatever device I want.

#9  injapan 05-22-2020, 03:16 AM
Love my Kobo, best of both worlds

#10  Poppaea 05-22-2020, 03:42 AM
Quote JSWolf
I've been reading about some wanting night mode and the book cover to the the lock screen image.

What I want to know is why do Kindle owners want features they can already have with Kobo and can easily get by getting a Kobo yet they stick with a Kindle? Seems silly to me to have a Kindle that doesn't do what they want when they can get a Kobo that does do what they want.
Because

Next »  Last »  (1/28)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register