Mobileread
Glo How can I downgrade FW of my Kobo Glo?
#11  davidfor 08-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Quote drjd
I would have definitely given the new FW a good try and see the new features if it was at all connectable to a PC. I actually don't understand how Kobo introduces silly bugs in the upgraded firmware, and even many bugs which were resolved earlier are reintroduced again, as I read from the other posts of the members.

I would still be glad to try the latest FW if the USB connectivity is solved.
But, the USB connectivity isn't a problem. The few issues that have been reported have mostly been on the computer side. Of the ones that were not the computer, I think yours is the only one that wasn't resolved with a factory reset and upgrade to the current firmware. I can't see if you tried another PC to see if it did connect there.

Kobo have changed things in the firmware for the USB connectivity since 3.19.5761, but, that was because Microsoft broke it first in the Win10 Anniversary Edition. MS did eventually fix that, but, there have been other issues in MS updates since then that seem to be causing problems.

And thinking of the problems with Windows, and what you have done, how many times have you connected the device since the factory reset? One of the problems related to a Windows change, meant you could connect once or twice after a factory reset, but then Windows would reject the device.

#12  drjd 08-04-2017, 02:47 AM
Quote davidfor
But, the USB connectivity isn't a problem. The few issues that have been reported have mostly been on the computer side. Of the ones that were not the computer, I think yours is the only one that wasn't resolved with a factory reset and upgrade to the current firmware. I can't see if you tried another PC to see if it did connect there.

Kobo have changed things in the firmware for the USB connectivity since 3.19.5761, but, that was because Microsoft broke it first in the Win10 Anniversary Edition. MS did eventually fix that, but, there have been other issues in MS updates since then that seem to be causing problems.

And thinking of the problems with Windows, and what you have done, how many times have you connected the device since the factory reset? One of the problems related to a Windows change, meant you could connect once or twice after a factory reset, but then Windows would reject the device.
After the upgrade to 4.5.9587, I tried the USB connection with 2 different laptops, both using Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, with 3 different cables. All did not work.

I tried to connect 2-3 times on each computer. Since every attempt was unfruitful, I had requested you to send the stock image file for Glo.

Now since I have a fully working system card with FW 3.19.5761 on hand, which can be used in case of any disaster, I can give another try to write the stock image on a different SD card, upgrade it to 4.5.9587 through Wifi, and see if I still get the same problem. I'll report back the outcome.

#13  davidfor 08-04-2017, 03:49 AM
Quote drjd
After the upgrade to 4.5.9587, I tried the USB connection with 2 different laptops, both using Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, with 3 different cables. All did not work.

I tried to connect 2-3 times on each computer. Since every attempt was unfruitful, I had requested you to send the stock image file for Glo.

Now since I have a fully working system card with FW 3.19.5761 on hand, which can be used in case of any disaster, I can give another try to write the stock image on a different SD card, upgrade it to 4.5.9587 through Wifi, and see if I still get the same problem. I'll report back the outcome.
I think you missed the last thing I was trying to say. When Win10 AE came out, it broke connectivity for ALL Kobo devices on any firmware version. But, if you did a factory reset, it would connect and work. Then, on the second or third connection, or after restarting the device a couple of times (sorry forgotten exactly what the steps were), Windows would again reject the device.

The fault was on both sides, but more on MS's side. MS decided that something Kobo had been doing for many years was bad. What Kobo was doing was legitimate, but there were probably better ways to do it.

MS did fix the problem on their side after a month or so. And I'm pretty sure Kobo changed what they were doing at about the same time. But, that was after firmware 3.19.5761 and if this was the problem.

But, looking back at your original post, I'm not sure what was actually happening. It sounds like it was connecting but when you tried to copy something to the device, it failed for some reason. Is that right?

#14  drjd 08-04-2017, 06:52 AM
Quote davidfor
I think you missed the last thing I was trying to say. When Win10 AE came out, it broke connectivity for ALL Kobo devices on any firmware version. But, if you did a factory reset, it would connect and work. Then, on the second or third connection, or after restarting the device a couple of times (sorry forgotten exactly what the steps were), Windows would again reject the device.

The fault was on both sides, but more on MS's side. MS decided that something Kobo had been doing for many years was bad. What Kobo was doing was legitimate, but there were probably better ways to do it.

MS did fix the problem on their side after a month or so. And I'm pretty sure Kobo changed what they were doing at about the same time. But, that was after firmware 3.19.5761 and if this was the problem.

But, looking back at your original post, I'm not sure what was actually happening. It sounds like it was connecting but when you tried to copy something to the device, it failed for some reason. Is that right?
Perhaps I could not explain everything happened in proper words. I'll give details stepwise, how I encountered the problem:

1. After factory reset using the light button and power on switch, I was asked to connect to Kobo Desktop on PC or connect to a Wifi.
2. I chose to connect to Wifi. Connecting to a Wifi resulted "Checking your device for update" and the device started the update. After update the device prompted for log-in, and came to its home screen. I browsed the home scree, its menus and checked the FW version in "Device information". It was 4.5.9587. I opened few books on the device and found every thing was ok so far.
3. Then thought it was time to apply patches and use Calibre to sync. So I connected the device to laptop through usual USB cable. I got a prompt "Computer detected... Cancel/Connect".
4. I pressed the connect button, and the device showed "Connected and charging", *(but I did not hear the usual 'ding' sound from laptop indicating a USB device connected.
5. I opened the Windows explorer, but could not see any device detected. I opened the Windows control panel and checked for any unknown USB device.. nothing.
6. As there was no "Safely remove your device" in the Windows, I disconnected the USB cable.
7. The device prompted for "Importing Contents" or something like that, and a progress bar working on the Kobo. After the importing is done, the Kobo comes back to its home screen. Works normally, I can open the menus and books on device.

I repeated the whole process again and again, but same results. Then I tried 3 different USB cables, in case my cable is damaged, changed different USB ports of the laptop, even tried on another laptop, but again same result.

After all the above frustration I decided to revert back to my trusted FW 3.19.5761. After the reversal, the USB connectivity is back to normal with all the cables, all the USB ports and both the laptops.

I hope this time I have clearly explained my situation.

Still I hope I can give one more try to FW 4.5.9587, as now have another copy of the SD card image for FW 3.19.5761 prepared with me, in case of any disaster.

What do you suggest? And thanks for being patient with me.

#15  drjd 08-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Quote drjd
Still I hope I can give one more try to FW 4.5.9587, as now have another copy of the SD card image for FW 3.19.5761 prepared with me, in case of any disaster.

Today I succeeded in manual upgrade to FW 4.5.9587! This time I can connect with a PC through USB cable, and it is working normally so far. Now I am applying patches.

Thanks everyone.

#16  JSWolf 08-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Glad the new firmware is working for you.

#17  the.Mtn.Man 08-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Quote JSWolf
And in another thread you said you got your Glo working and up to the newest firmware. I don't see the problem there.

You should give the newest firmware a try and see what you think. The problem with sticking with 3.19.x is not going to get you any new features or fixes.
Quote dmapr
Or any new bugs. My wife's Glo is still running 2.8.x and she's happy as a clam with it. I can't think of any feature added since then that she would consider a must have.
Indeed. I'm running a custom patched version of 3.12.1 on my 1st gen Kobo Aura, and I have no intent of ever changing. It works flawlessly for my purposes, and every version since has at least one, really annoying bug that always sent me back to 3.12.1. Some of us don't need the "latest and greatest (and buggiest)" to get full use out of our e-readers.

#18  JSWolf 08-07-2017, 04:45 AM
Quote the.Mtn.Man
Indeed. I'm running a custom patched version of 3.12.1 on my 1st gen Kobo Aura, and I have no intent of ever changing. It works flawlessly for my purposes, and every version since has at least one, really annoying bug that always sent me back to 3.12.1. Some of us don't need the "latest and greatest (and buggiest)" to get full use out of our e-readers.
The best version 3 firmware is 3.19.5761. If you have tried that one, what annoying bug(s) did you find? Also, it's a little bit faster than 3.12.1. So that is the version I suggest you go with if you don't want to go for the latest firmware.

#19  the.Mtn.Man 08-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Quote JSWolf
The best version 3 firmware is 3.19.5761. If you have tried that one, what annoying bug(s) did you find? Also, it's a little bit faster than 3.12.1. So that is the version I suggest you go with if you don't want to go for the latest firmware.
The two-finger light adjustment is the killer for me. It works flawlessly in 3.12.1. Every version since then introduced really funky behavior, such as the light level ramping up and down slowly making it easy to overshoot your desired brightness, or it arbitrarily failing to respond and requiring a second swipe, or not changing the brightness until you remove your fingers making it impossible to fine-tune, etc.

#20  Blossom 08-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Quote JSWolf
I have thought of downgrading back to 3.19. firmware. Jon is there any cons? I'll have to write down all my bookmarks. I have about 100 epubs on my Glo HD. I'm tired of dealing with bugs and the battery life was better back then. I know I will have to add manual patches to my patch file. Luckily I have kept the patched file for 3.19. I'm still deciding if it would be worth it or not though.

Sent from my XT1528

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register